Author Topic: AFS Fault (cornering lamps)  (Read 8343 times)

Offline Papa John

• Not said much yet
AFS Fault (cornering lamps)
« on: 15 December 2018, 10:46 »
Cornering headlamps developed a fault the other day. Connected up OBD11 and it found the fault code. Left hand stationary. Cleared that and although the RHS light worked briefly, the fault tripped again and they've both stopped working. Car's booked into the local stealer for Jan 3rd. Hopefully the extended warranty will cover it?

Season's Greetings. PJ.
2015 Tornado Red 5dr GTI PP, Manual, Austin wheels.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: AFS Fault (cornering lamps)
« Reply #1 on: 15 December 2018, 10:57 »
Could just be the bulbs have blown.

I’ve read somewhere that when one cornering bulb fails, the other one often fails shortly after. If it is the bulbs in the cornering lights, then bulbs aren’t covered under warranty.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Papa John

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 15 December 2018, 11:04 »

I’ve read somewhere that when one cornering bulb fails, the other one often fails shortly after. If it is the bulbs in the cornering lights, then bulbs aren’t covered under warranty.

I'll have a look at that. Thanks.

Seems they're H7 bulbs. Will replace both and see if that sorts it out?

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 15 December 2018, 11:06 »

That’s correct. There’s been a few go recently and the same thing has been mentioned over on VWROC, Booth11 recently suffered the issue, she will no doubt be along with a load of links! :grin:

Here’s one of a few threads on the subject:
 https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/25041-bend-lighting-afs-error/
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Papa John

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 15 December 2018, 11:12 »
Cool, love an easy fix. Wish me luck!

Basic fitment guide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORTOxVEJPLE

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 15 December 2018, 13:11 »
Time for LEDs to match the colour of the headlights :wink:
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 15 December 2018, 14:10 »
As Mr Ex (Exonian) rightly says, I’ve had the same recently. A warning on the dash and both bulbs not working but actually one one bulb blown as it turned out. Before buying new bulbs, I put my oem bulbs back in just to check all was ok and they both worked fine.  In many cases one blown bulb stops both working, but not always. Someone on vwroc had one go but the other kept working, so it seems a bit of a lottery as to what happens.  My blown bulb was a Phillips Diamond Vision H7 bulb (I swapped out the horrible yellowy oem bulbs for them over a year ago).  Today I’ve replaced both bulbs with a new set of Diamond Vision, as they are a good match to the xenons (pre-facelift R) so all working now and back to nice matching white lights. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007JZKBVW/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item
« Last Edit: 15 December 2018, 14:13 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 15 December 2018, 16:19 »
Mine went a couple of weeks ago, just standard bulbs for me, £18 seems more than enough for something I don't really need!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Papa John

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 17 December 2018, 18:18 »
Okay, so a pair of OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER LASER H7, sorted this light issue right out. Total cost = £12.46. I'm Scottish....

Why does the message on the dash not just say, cornering bulb out, check/replace rather than the cryptic message, AFS fault?

The local VW dealer I spoke to charge a diagnosis fee of £60+VAT = £75.00 And in this case they'd have then replaced the bulb(s), so this simple bulb issue could well have cost me £100.00 if not more, including the diag fee and bulb(s). Had it not been for the good people of GolfGTI Forum that is.  :kiss:

Thanks again, folks.  :cool:

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 18 December 2018, 13:25 »

Why does the message on the dash not just say, cornering bulb out, check/replace rather than the cryptic message, AFS fault?

Same with the "Bong" for various things, every bong is the same, from the icy road warning to engine blowing up, exactly the same kin' bong. VW like to be vague about what's wrong with the car to make you go get mugged by the Main Stealers.