Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 549306 times)

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #900 on: 10 March 2017, 21:39 »
^^^ Sounds good and I'm sure it was well worth the effort as Black is the best when all clean shiny and cared for.

Got any pics of your work…?
« Last Edit: 11 March 2017, 06:48 by Mr GTD »
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #901 on: 10 March 2017, 23:14 »
After 2 years in the garage sitting on the shelf, I braved the clay bar on my paintwork ! and how easy and rewarding this simple process is. I thought this was going to be fraught with danger but WOW ! the finish is super smooth, all the rough tree sap, tar and other road grime has been clayed away leaving a very smooth finish. So it's been a good 2 - 3 months since my car was last cleaned. So you can imagine the crime scene... so i stated with a pressure blast to take away lose dirt. Then i applied some Auto Finesse Citrus power, let that settle and jet wash off. Then a snow foam and rinse, then another snow foam but on this one i used a wool mitt to wash the car. jet wash off and then dry. Applied some iron out to the wheels and then washed. Put the car into the garage and then started the clay process and I'm really happy with the results, just wish I braved the task years ago... just got the front bumper and side skirts to do tomorrow before trying out my new Das 6 Pro DA. Picked up the Auto Finesse kit from the guys at VRT in Slough, what a great find they were, real VW Audi heads, my car will be visiting them for some tic in the future and some soft mods...

Peter, I think that there's an element of nervousness about new and unfamiliar cleaning / detailing processes, like claying and using a DA polisher. A bit of practice and and that nervousness soon disappears, and the results are really rewarding.

I've given my car a thorough 'spring clean' over the last couple of days, including pre-wash snow foam, wash, decontamination, wash, machine polish and wax, sealing the wheels and dressing the tyres / exterior trim. Really satisfying and it looks good again and will hopefully stay that way for a few days, now the weather seems to have improved :smiley:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #902 on: 11 March 2017, 00:46 »
After 2 years in the garage sitting on the shelf, I braved the clay bar on my paintwork ! and how easy and rewarding this simple process is. I thought this was going to be fraught with danger but WOW ! the finish is super smooth, all the rough tree sap, tar and other road grime has been clayed away leaving a very smooth finish. So it's been a good 2 - 3 months since my car was last cleaned. So you can imagine the crime scene... so i stated with a pressure blast to take away lose dirt. Then i applied some Auto Finesse Citrus power, let that settle and jet wash off. Then a snow foam and rinse, then another snow foam but on this one i used a wool mitt to wash the car. jet wash off and then dry. Applied some iron out to the wheels and then washed. Put the car into the garage and then started the clay process and I'm really happy with the results, just wish I braved the task years ago... just got the front bumper and side skirts to do tomorrow before trying out my new Das 6 Pro DA. Picked up the Auto Finesse kit from the guys at VRT in Slough, what a great find they were, real VW Audi heads, my car will be visiting them for some tic in the future and some soft mods...

Lol, well it's only taken you 2 years to pop your claying cherry. :laugh:  Really good to read your experiences and to hear you are happy with the results. 

It's just as SRGTD says, there's often a real fear and trepidation with some of these processes such as claying and machine polishing, a fear of  of messing up the car.  But you just have to take a deep breath and give it a go, and then these fears are soon overcome.  Key is taking your time, doing some research and arming yourself with with a bit of info and a the confidence will increase each time, and the results make it all worthwhile. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #903 on: 11 March 2017, 12:51 »

Peter, I think that there's an element of nervousness about new and unfamiliar cleaning / detailing processes, like claying and using a DA polisher. A bit of practice and and that nervousness soon disappears, and the results are really rewarding.

I've given my car a thorough 'spring clean' over the last couple of days, including pre-wash snow foam, wash, decontamination, wash, machine polish and wax, sealing the wheels and dressing the tyres / exterior trim. Really satisfying and it looks good again and will hopefully stay that way for a few days, now the weather seems to have improved :smiley:.

Meant to post a couple of pictures of my 'spring clean' (only 'afters' I'm afraid; forgot to take any 'before' pictures);

Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #904 on: 11 March 2017, 14:13 »

Meant to post a couple of pictures of my 'spring clean' (only 'afters' I'm afraid; forgot to take any 'before' pictures);

Such a cracking looking car.  Nice work!  Colour is beautiful and the gloss is amazing.  :cool:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #905 on: 11 March 2017, 14:14 »
As the sun being out in the sky finally coincided with a day off, I grabbed the opportunity to give it another wash and a coat of Swissvax Lotospeed.  First time I've used this.  What a lovely product to work with, possibly one of the easiest QD/sealants I’ve ever used.  Spray on panels, spread with a microfibre and wipe off, took 10 mins to do whole car (bar wheels) - no streaking or residue and buffed off with unbelievable ease.  Gives a very nice depth and gloss to the DBP, is both sealant and wax friendly so can be applied on top of both and great hydrophobicity too.  Great QD.  http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/swissvax-lotos-speed-cat14.html

Swissvax products are pricy but having used a good number of different ones now, I continue to be very impressed by their ease of use and quality of finish.   

« Last Edit: 11 March 2017, 18:05 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #906 on: 11 March 2017, 15:52 »

Such a cracking looking car.  Nice work!  Colour is beautiful and the gloss is amazing.  :cool:

Thanks Rebecca. I used a 'wax' I've not used before; a synthetic wax, so I suppose it's really a sealant. It's Fusso Coat Dark 12 Months Wax - a Japanese product. I'd read good things about it so decided to give it a go. Mini review below;

It's a paste product and is very easy to apply. It comes in a 200g tin that looks much bigger than 200g, but that's because there's a sponge applicator inside the large lid. Reference to 'Dark' in the name means it's intended for dark coloured cars (there's a Light version too), and not the colour of the paste, which is pale green. The first thing you notice when you remove the lid is the smell - quite a strong solvent smell that isn't very nice. The supplied applicator feels quite a coarse grade of sponge, so I used one of my existing smooth sponge applicators (like the small Wo-Wo ones) to apply it. Curing takes about 10 minutes, and then just wipe it off with a microfibre cloth; easy to remove if you've applied it sparingly. After application, paintwork feels very slick and slippery, but that will partly be down to decontaminating and polishing the paintwork prior to applying the Fusso. Judging by the small amount used on my car, a 200g tin will last for many years and multiple applications.

As the name suggests, it's meant to give 12 months protection, but I'll reserve judgement on that claim, although from the reviews I've read and the videos I've watched on YouTube, it does have very good durability and the beading is amazing, due to it being highly hydrophobic. Depending on how it holds up, I plan on reapplying it in around 6 months time. I'll give an update on how it performs over the coming months.

Nice job as usual on your car Rebecca. It's looking incredibly shiny with some great flake pop! :cool:
« Last Edit: 11 March 2017, 19:26 by SRGTD »
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline NewCsS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #907 on: 11 March 2017, 19:31 »
Hi was in Halfords today and notice 20% off autoglym products . Has anybody used autoglyms new HD shampoo? And feed back welcome current use autoglyms shampoo and conditioner is the HD shampoo worth the extra cost ?

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #908 on: 11 March 2017, 20:33 »

Looks awesome that does SRGTD, great job!  :cool:
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #909 on: 11 March 2017, 20:57 »
Looks awesome that does SRGTD, great job!  :cool:

Thanks!
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk