Author Topic: Can MK3 GTI sunroofs be repaired/reconditioned?  (Read 2117 times)

Offline general_piffle

• GTI forum regular
Can MK3 GTI sunroofs be repaired/reconditioned?
« on: 16 February 2017, 19:59 »
Hi all! My 1994 MK3 GTI is in having some work done and the sunroof has given up! It made a load crack on closing and stopped working. The mechanic working on it said all parts for these are now obsolete and I'd have to get a second-hand cassette/complete unit.

Are there any alternatives? Can they be reconditioned? Is there a secret, like other available parts that fit and fix it? Anything? Please help, thanks!

:smiley:

Offline gasketface

• I live here
Re: Can MK3 GTI sunroofs be repaired/reconditioned?
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2017, 22:36 »
Just get a complete known working unit from another car,maybe redo the headlining at same time.

It's a very straightforward job although a bit long winded maybe.

Bear in mind there are 2 types of cassette and each has a different sliding panel.You can interchange but you need both parts,cassette and panel.

Best bet would be to get to the one youve got already to see what type you have.

What area are you in ?.

Offline general_piffle

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2017, 21:38 »
Thanks gasketface I've managed to pick one up on eBay from a low mileage 1997 car but my car is a 1994 model, hopefully it'll all fit together! My car is with a mechanic and the one I've bought is miles away, so not possible to check. I'm based in Hants. Cheers.

Offline gasketface

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2017, 20:12 »
Hants eh,me too  :smiley:

I hope you got the sliding panel as well as the 97 is different from the 94.

Offline general_piffle

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 25 February 2017, 15:33 »
Cool! Yes got the panel too. So not possible to swap mine it over if mine is in better condition? Would be nice to have the option even though it looks clean in the pictures.