Author Topic: Mk3 golf 1998 cabrio 20ltr 8valve to 20vt conversion  (Read 2709 times)

Offline David890

• Just got here
Hi everyone, i know I must be the 10,000th person whom has asked for advise on this topic but I want do it once and I want to do it right. I have a 1998 mk3 cabrio 2.0ltr 8 valve advantage it's in fabulous condition but needs more omph, so I've bou a scraper A3 1.8 20valve turbo, the engine has an AGU code and I have everything I think for the project, keys, Ecu, loom, key transponder, pipes etc. So as mk3 golf has a cable clutch and the 8 valve gearbox it not equipped to take the power of the 20vt, I've been informed that the best conversion to a seat cable to hydraulic gearbox. I know the code of the box is 02j but which model seat would it be from and what year? Also the gear linkage what car would that be from. If anyone has completed this conversation I would appreciate a step by step guide perhaps with photos and list of what parts I would need for the full conversation. Thanks fellow dubbers. Any advise how ever little would help.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Mk3 golf 1998 cabrio 20ltr 8valve to 20vt conversion
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2017, 15:02 »
Mk3 ibiza cupra . around 2000 in year although if you ring tps with a reg of one you can buy it all.
Gearlinkage wise id use the a3 shifter. Last time i did one i used that one.
Youll need to swap the driveshafts cup to the 100mm ones of of the cabrio so the driveshafts fit.

Im assuming you cabrio is 4x100 so its best to upgrade to 280mm front brakes.
Mk3 gti carriers and callipers with g60 brake discs.

Youll need a downpipe which can be bought from qpeng. Use to be 150quid and finally an exhaust making.

I always deimobilise the ecus so i dont bave to use the clocks and such from the doner.
Any remap place should be able to do it.

Intercooler wise its what ever you want to put in it. Some use ebay ones some use ones from other cars.

Offline hardmonkeys

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 14 January 2017, 18:43 »
I did a conversion from 8v auto to 16v manual, take a look at my build thread in my signature to see if that helps
'05 VW Golf Mk V GT TDI Laser Blue
'98 VW Golf Mk IV GTi Black
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi
'58 VW Golf Mk V GT Sport TDI Steel Grey
'10 Audi A4 B8 SE Multitronic

'00 VW Golf Mk III.V Cabrio

MK3.5 Cabrio 2.0 8v Automatic to 2.0 16v Manual Conversion Project

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=272728.

www.dorsetautorestore.co.uk

Offline gasketface

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2017, 17:47 »
If its the 3.5 cabrio and it's 2 litre what engine have you got in it now,if unsure then let me know the year.

If its the right engine you can do huge amounts to it and get great bhp increases for less money than a 20v swap,looks right too.

If it's AGG though forget it,pointless.