Author Topic: Gti Reviews  (Read 49674 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Gti Reviews
« Reply #30 on: 11 August 2020, 14:03 »
I’m not one for sitting watching YouTube vids generally as most of them are pretty dull at best.
I do quite like some of Thomas’s vids though as he looks very staid and Germanic but I reckon he’s got a bit of a wicked fun streak which he keeps a lid on most of the time.

However, god that mk8 GTI vid was boring boring boring.

Informative though.
I know enough that just like with the mk3 Golf there’s no way I want to own a GTI version.
(Probably eat my words once I’ve seen one in the flesh)
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #31 on: 11 August 2020, 15:12 »
The red makes the car look a lot better though still not keen on the front. Sounds like they have made some good improvements to the chassis although I'd be surprised if it was a significant improvement over the 7/7.5 in your average driving. But for any reviewer to be so critical of the software it must be poor. Hopefully VW will listen and perhaps an 8.5 will be a better car.

I hadn't realised that the 5 lights in the bumper were fog lights. So what is the point in having them as a feature? I doubt if I've used front fogs more than 4 or 5 times in 10 years or more, current car doesn't even have any!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 12 August 2020, 09:25 »
The red makes the car look a lot better though still not keen on the front. Sounds like they have made some good improvements to the chassis although I'd be surprised if it was a significant improvement over the 7/7.5 in your average driving. But for any reviewer to be so critical of the software it must be poor. Hopefully VW will listen and perhaps an 8.5 will be a better car.

I hadn't realised that the 5 lights in the bumper were fog lights. So what is the point in having them as a feature? I doubt if I've used front fogs more than 4 or 5 times in 10 years or more, current car doesn't even have any!

And you have to pay to have them! Could be FogGate2 on the horizon!  :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #33 on: 12 August 2020, 12:23 »
And you have to pay to have them! Could be FogGate2 on the horizon!  :grin:

Nobody knows what the UK spec will be.... all we have seen so far is talk of German options....

On the Mk7 in Germany, everything we take for granted was an option!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #35 on: 13 August 2020, 13:01 »
https://www.whatcar.com/news/2021-volkswagen-golf-gti-review-price-specs-and-release-date/n21799

What Car review.

Hmmmm

When order books open next month (deliveries are due in October),

LOLOLOLOL not in the UK, not a chance. They are talking Germany again...

a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic (DSG) gearbox will be the only choice; but, before that elicits a collective groan from the audience, a six-speed manual – for die-hard enthusiasts – is on its way.

Again, I call BS. I think they have been given a German press ride and there wasn't a manual.

Although we don't know the full specifications or exact list price of UK cars

Basically.... pointless article
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #36 on: 13 August 2020, 13:07 »
Just to repost - from our resident VW dealer:

Unfortunately zero chance of seeing a GTI in the UK till next year.

Factory still way behind on customer orders placed prior to lock down and most of the effort going into greeting ID3 cars launched and delivered by the end of the year.

They still have Golf R mk7.5 coming over for customers  :shocked:

Rest assured any more info I will post.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 16 August 2020, 19:33 »
I’m not one for sitting watching YouTube vids generally as most of them are pretty dull at best.
I do quite like some of Thomas’s vids though as he looks very staid and Germanic but I reckon he’s got a bit of a wicked fun streak which he keeps a lid on most of the time.

Informative though.
I know enough that just like with the mk3 Golf there’s no way I want to own a GTI version.

But isn't that the Thomas brand though? He is providing a reference point - it's the technical data at the back of the brochure. It's not meant to be Carfection with lingering b-roll. If you're considering buying the car, there is a lot of useful information conveyed in his videos and he doesn't pander to the manufacturers - he can be quite critical and scathing at times. A lot of YouTubers tend to not want to forfeit their ticket to the next press junket so you get worthless video.

I agree with you, I imagine Thomas after a few beers will be highly entertaining.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #38 on: 16 August 2020, 23:38 »
I just thought the vid went on a bit going over the same old thing.
It’s not like there were any other bits of interest as the engine and chassis are just mk7 anyway.
The poor lad can only work with what he’s given to work with.
Generally I like his vids except I don’t bother watching about boring Audi estates or SUV’s etc.

I’m not a big watcher of YouTube vids, it mostly seems to be people who like the sounds of their own voice and self promotion. Yawn. At least it keeps these types off Internet forums I guess!  :grin:

Always willing to check out recommendations though  :smiley:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #39 on: 18 August 2020, 12:06 »

Informative though.

I really like thomas, his reviews get into the details and the HD quality and good camera positions really gives you a feel for what the car was really like - cast this review to my 65 " screen and sat down to enjoy the walkthrough and found myself skipping through to the end - do not blame Thomas, the car is that uninspiring and awkward there is just not much to love,
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC