Author Topic: Android Auto Audio Question  (Read 4284 times)

Offline breezasib

• GTI forum regular
Android Auto Audio Question
« on: 31 July 2019, 19:47 »
Will shortly be swapping out my 2016 GTI with no Android Auto and getting a 2019 GTI PP.
My question is can you use waze or google maps to navigate whilst listening to audio from the car radio/cd/media?

I also see the new Android Auto was released yesterday. Anyone tried it yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSRE4m0RdtM

This is the new version:
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/android-auto/android-auto-4-5-5928-release/
Install & clear the app cache and then the option to try the new version should appear in the app settings
« Last Edit: 01 August 2019, 13:38 by breezasib »

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Android Auto Audio Question
« Reply #1 on: 31 July 2019, 19:58 »
You can definitely listen to radio while Android Auto is operational. Haven't tried a CD or SD card.

What you definitely can't do, is use a second source from USB as there is only one USB port, and that will be occupied by your smartphone.
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2019, 21:31 »
Yes you can listen to either CD or radio or media while aa is running, or use an media app from aa (iplayer or Spotify or whatever)

The only source you can't use is music files on your phone.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline breezasib

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2019, 21:38 »
Thanks for the replies.

So if you say have the car radio on and Waze navigation running do the navigation audio voice directions cut in / over the radio?

Offline A13XDB

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 01 August 2019, 07:39 »
Just taken delivery of a new GTD Mk7.5  so not fully explored yet.

Lazy question, does it have storage as the Mk7 Discover Pro?
Previous
Alfa Romeo 146 Ti
Mercedes C230K (W202)
Mercedes C200K (CL203)
Mk4 R32
B6 Passat Estate SEL TDi 170 DSG
2014 Mk7 GTI PP DSG
2010 Mk6 Gt TDI 140 DSG
2019 Mk7.5 GTD DSG
Current
2019 Mk7.5 R Estate DSG
2012 Skoda Yeti SE Tdi 4x4

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 01 August 2019, 07:42 »
If you mean does it have an internal HDD for the storage of music etc. then only the Discover Pro models have that feature.

For the MK7.5, the Pro model can be distinguished from the standard Discover Navigation model by the fact that the former has no rotary dials on it's face plate (just touch sensitive buttons), whereas the latter has two rotary buttons either side (volume / power on the left and search / scroll on the right).

Also the Pro model has a large widescreen 9.2" screen whereas the standard unit is "only" 8"
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 01 August 2019, 07:55 »
Hmm, thought I'd give the new version of AA a try, but I deleted the old AA off the phone, downloaded and installed the new 4.5 APK from the link above, but it just looks the same as the old version (not like the newer version on the linked Youtube video) ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline breezasib

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 01 August 2019, 08:34 »
Remember to clear the cache in the app and then go into settings where you should turn on the option:
"Try the new Android Auto - For car screen only. Update now or wait for automatic update, coming soon"

Then when you plug into your car you should get the new version.
« Last Edit: 01 August 2019, 08:42 by breezasib »

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 01 August 2019, 08:44 »
Cleared the cache and data, even uninstalled AA and reinstalled the APK for version 4.5.592854 and still get the same ?

No option for "Try the new Android Auto - For car screen only. Update now or wait for automatic update, coming soon" ?

Guess I'll have to wait until it's an official launch ?
« Last Edit: 01 August 2019, 08:47 by Sootchucker »

Offline breezasib

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 01 August 2019, 09:03 »
Hmm maybe to do with the phone or switch at google's end then. Mine is a pixel 3 and I get the option in the settings although I have no car to try it on yet  :cry:

Just to ask my last question again:
So if you say have the car radio on and Waze navigation running do the navigation audio voice directions cut in / over the radio?
« Last Edit: 01 August 2019, 10:23 by breezasib »