Author Topic: How to get into motorsport  (Read 12497 times)

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
How to get into motorsport
« on: 23 June 2013, 22:03 »
sorry if this has been covered plenty of times before..
been wanting to get into racing for a while. proberbly an mx5 cup type thing, but depends whats out there really. ..

if not mx5 then maybe get a mk2 golf and put the engine from mk 4 into it...

but the car will come later, at the moment im just wanting to know how to get into it

so what do I need to do... obviously need a licence, which licence do I need? MSA B licence ?

then is it just a case of entering a "league" that I am elegable to enter and turn up on the day... or is there other things I need to do.

Offline Rockey5uk2001

• GTI forum regular
Re: How to get into motorsport
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2013, 22:42 »
You need a racing licence you need to go to a racing school

http://www.btrdarally.com/

good place to start racing and for licence info:
http://www.ards.co.uk/

Current cost £62 (inc VAT and delivery).

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2013, 07:51 »
Medical, GoMotorsport pack, ARDS test and then you're off with a yellow sticker with a black cross on the back, indicating you're a novice.  Get signatures when you race and when you have six squiggles you lose the novice tag.

Join up to 750 Motor Club and pick a formula to drive in.  Locost has very close racing and a relatively low entry cost.  I know various folks who are into it and absolutely love it.  Also consider BMW Compact Cup or the VW Golf GTI Cup, although there's a BIG difference between a road car vs a cup car.  Because the championship has attracted a big field there's quite a lot of money in car prep these days and a built 'standard' motor to be competitive is going to be £1600 touch.  Then there's all the suspension and set up which will make a big difference.

Maybe try a few sprints and auto-tests before diving in to racing.  Do remember that ANY form of motorsport ain't cheap!
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline DOA

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2013, 22:15 »
if not mx5 then maybe get a mk2 golf and put the engine from mk 4 into it...

Unfortunately, if you start with that attitude, you will find it very easy to build a car that isnt eligable to run in any class that you are likely to be competitive in.... Sounds harsh I know, but a lot of people build what they fancy and then find that they are put in with the big money guys if they are eligable for any class at all and imediately and understandably get put right off in a very short period of time...

As above, check out the ARDS website to see how much a race license will set you back following the medical, license test and general fees for licenses, followed by the MSA website for a look through the blue book of regulations (and wild confusion normally!) and then take a look at the Go Motorsport website for a guide to some "cheap" forms of motorsport. As long as you bear in mind that MOTORSPORT IS NOT CHEAP, you will be fine but I must repeat, MOTORSPORT IS NOT CHEAP!  FWIW, both the MX5 and the Golf GTI championships are VERY EXPENSIVE to get into and to be even remotely competitive.

So thats the negativity dealt with, seriously, motorsport kicks ass! If you can afford it, its a serious buzz turning up to your first event (even if you get pasted its still a buzz!) and once you figure out your competitive, it gets like all good drugs, ADDICTIVE!!!!  :grin:

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2013, 23:56 »
seriously if you want to get into motorsport, get a 1.1 sh!t box and run in the lowest class possible.

tend to find engine conversions don't fit in classes ether but till you find your feet your best off in something slow, the accidents happen slower that way so there much cheeper and easyer to straighten out. 

best of staying in a class the dictates small standard engines,  by the time you've coverd safety kit, entry fees and transport,  let allone tyers.    then theers brake and suspention mods there isn't much left in the kitty

also i hate to say it but for competive motorsport i really woundn't be looking to use a mk2 more like a 106 or saxo for cheepness.

other problem motorsporting with vw's  is in classes where engine mods are permited power is hard and expensivly won,  you'll get good torque quite easy but to make the power revs are needed and thats where vw motors struggel and get expensive. 
 had a go at bit of rallying with some friends in a seat.  we made theh mistake of running in a class where heavly modifyed engines were permited,  we managed to put out engines together for about £3K cost price but we had accses to full machene shop and lots of free stuff  they would have retailed at £10k plus if they were built for you.  and we never really had enough power to be really competive
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline transporter

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 02 October 2013, 18:35 »
the Golf GTI championships are VERY EXPENSIVE to get into and to be even remotely competitive.

What?! http://www.golfgti-racing.co.uk/ is about as cheap as it comes! We built our own car and race it competitively! (had two class wins) in our first year all for under 5k! its not VERY expensive, it will be more costly if you do the 16v class (class 2) agreed! but the 8v class (class 1) is good value for money. We have had one set of tires all year so far!

Your best is to come to the season finale at Snetterton, October 26-27th and speak to people for yourself :)

My race car :D

Offline GTI7me

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 02 October 2013, 18:57 »
If you want to get in to motorsport get in to karting. I'm not sure where you are based but PF International near Newark is one of the best circuits in the UK. There is a club meeting this meeting (which unfortunately i can't attend)

J

2013 GTI (GONE) - 2014 GTI Performance Pack - Manual, Discover Nav, 5 door, Park Assist

Offline rallye13

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2014, 15:27 »
Depends what exactly you want to do, a lot of hill climb/ sprint stuff doesnt need a nat class B.

And is cheap to get into!