Author Topic: Rear door card and plate removal with extra info for door locked shut.  (Read 49122 times)

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
I thought I would write this guide to show how to remove the door card and window regulator plate with the door locked closed. It is possible and without breaking any clips :wink: Obviously you wouldn't want the door closed by choice but in my case the door wouldn't unlock electrically or mechanically.

First of all......open the window as far down as it will go.

Remove the appropriate seat base to aid access to the two screws at the bottom of the door and the door card itself. The screws are T20 torx so the forward one can be removed with an ordinary torx screwdriver such as this:-

The rear one is more awkward as the raised section of the floor of the car that the seat sits on is in the way. I couldn't get the screwdriver in so I had to improvise. I tried a T20 bit in a bit holder:-

But the wall of the bit holder was too thick so I found a piece of 1/4" diameter tubing and pushed the bit into it:-

Its very difficult to see where you need to orientate the bit to get it into the head of the screw so I put a piece of masking tape on the door and using a torch and mirror made a mark where the screw head is:-

Using a pair of pliers on the tube I was able to remove the screw

The next step is to remove the handle cap. Its held on with 3 clips and you have to pry it off, I used a plastic scraper to prevent damage:-

Using a No. 3 screwdriver bit remove the two screws in the handle.
The card is now simply held by the clips so starting at the bottom pulling the card towards you and work upwards. Here are some pictures of the back of the card so that you can see what you are trying to disengage, two black clips at the forward edge and three at the rear:-

With all the clips disengaged you need to move the card upwards to remove it from the window trim. I found it easier to work from the back and work forwards.....note the brilliant sticker in the background :tongue::-

« Last Edit: 24 September 2010, 01:06 by richandhazel »

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Re: Rear door card and plate removal with door locked shut
« Reply #1 on: 23 September 2010, 20:34 »
Once the card is released from the door trim you have two electrical connections and one cable to disconnect. Speaker and electric window switch are straight forward but it helps if you know how the connectors are locked:-

« Last Edit: 23 September 2010, 21:52 by richandhazel »

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2010, 20:38 »
Same for the inside door handle cable, it helps to see how it is locked in place:-

« Last Edit: 23 September 2010, 20:40 by richandhazel »

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 23 September 2010, 20:45 »
Ok, so the door card is now off and we can see the plate behind it:-

All around the periphery you can see the 10mm bolts that hold the plate in place but before you go there, we need to remove the window from the regulator. Hopefully you opened the window to start with:-

If not, all is not lost. Reconnect the switch , even easier if you remove it from the card, and operate the window.
Remove the bung that is just to the left of the speaker, exposing the plastic bushes that connect the window to the regulator:-

« Last Edit: 23 September 2010, 21:54 by richandhazel »

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Find a long bolt that is approximately 4/5mm dia thread. I had one that was 8mm AF. Screw it into the inner bush at least 5mm and pull the inner bush out:-

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Now to remove the outer bush I simply used a pair of mole grips and a nail :shocked:

The window will now be disconnected from the regulator so put your hands either side of the window and slide it back up the weather seals/guide until it is closed. I found the weather seals held the glass in place safely. Now, my door is locked closed and the lock module is attached to the plate so I had to disconnect the 3 lugs holding a plastic guide that is attached to the module. Here they are circled in red:-

And a little closer:-

« Last Edit: 23 September 2010, 21:26 by richandhazel »

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Punch the middle out of each rivet:-

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Push the lugs through to release the plastic guide;-

You're now ready to remove all of the 10mm bolts and guide the plate forward from the rod and cable having released the grommets from the plate. There is a seal strip that sticks the plate to the door and there are two lugs each side that you need to clear by pulling the plate towards you. They protrude around 10mm.
You'll also need to drop the plate downwards to clear the window guide.
« Last Edit: 23 September 2010, 22:14 by richandhazel »

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
It may help to see the back of the plate:-

And, this is what you are left with:-

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
One thing to add, concerning reassembly. Before you refit the plate make sure you put the bushes back into the window:-

The bushes then relocate into the carrier by pushing the window down into the carrier......it will click into place :wink:

Hope this helps someone............as for the lock module and opening the door, now there is another story/guide :shocked: I did get the door open and fix the module, so, if you want another guide let me know. I took photo's and am willing to publish another guide if there is a requirement :undecided:
« Last Edit: 23 September 2010, 21:47 by richandhazel »