Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362593 times)

Offline JDM82

• Here all the time
I'm really considering getting the upgraded tensioner fitted now to hopefully prevent the dreaded failure. Anyone know of a good place to take it in the Teesside area? I've heard good things of a garage called Ron Turnbulls in Middlesbrough. Or would it be better to take it to my local VW dealer? At least then it would be guaranteed?
GOLF GTi - The legendary hot hatch

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
I'm really considering getting the upgraded tensioner fitted now to hopefully prevent the dreaded failure. Anyone know of a good place to take it in the Teesside area? I've heard good things of a garage called Ron Turnbulls in Middlesbrough. Or would it be better to take it to my local VW dealer? At least then it would be guaranteed?

Dealer will charge a fortune, just try find an indie who has already replaced one and is confident. I mean its not the hardest job in the world by any stretch but you want it right.
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline mikegti77

• Not said much yet

Hi,

I live in Darlington, work Middlesbrough. I used VASSTECH in Darlington for my tensioner 6 months ago (http://www.thevasstech.com), ask to speak to Alex on reception, they have courtesy cars also.  I paid £380 at the time, the cost break down I posted on this thread - page 14 I think.

I have used Ron Turnbull's around 12 years ago when I had mk3 GTI for cambelt change, they were fine, not used them since, but they are still around.
« Last Edit: 25 August 2014, 09:54 by mikegti77 »
MK7 GTI, Carbon Grey, Pan Sunroof

Offline JDM82

• Here all the time
Cheers for that Mike, that's great help, I'll give them a call tomorrow.
GOLF GTi - The legendary hot hatch

Offline Jags 84

• Not said much yet
Ok guys just got a call from the vw dealer who said the engine has no compression. So a new engine is required however they need another 2.5 hours labour at my expense to investigate what has failed. But cannot say whether any goodwill will be offered or not. Is this normal practice or will they just try it on at every opportunity? We have no car & they cannot even offer us a courtesy car for another month. This is starting to get frustrating now! What shall I do?

Offline gaurav_aidasani

• GTI forum regular
Wow so the stealers initially charged you £144 per hour to 'diagnose' the timing chain and now need to investigate further? Sounds like a rip off as they should have detected any issues in the first place. You've got in writing from them that you should carry on driving as normal until you see any check engine lights right? I would use this to call VWCS and ask for explanations. And maybe even have a word with your credit card company (if you paid by card) as surely their work should be guaranteed for 24 months?

Which London stealer is this.....I'll know who to avoid in the future.

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
Ok guys just got a call from the vw dealer who said the engine has no compression. So a new engine is required however they need another 2.5 hours labour at my expense to investigate what has failed. But cannot say whether any goodwill will be offered or not. Is this normal practice or will they just try it on at every opportunity? We have no car & they cannot even offer us a courtesy car for another month. This is starting to get frustrating now! What shall I do?

Tell them its their fault you are in this position and you demand a car, tell the manager to give you his car and make him catch the bus.

On a serious not, VW always have cars spare, they just say they dont so it doesnt cost them any more money. Go to the showroom and kick off bad, start shouting and swearing !!!!

I got a car on the day and had it for 2 weeks, even got the special edition UP!

Good luck mate
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline Pld118

• GTI forum regular

@Jags 84,

1. Who is your warranty with (does it actually cover main dealer labour rates anyway, even if the repair works are found to be warrantied)?

2. If a new engine is required and they need 2.5 hours to investigate what has failed, is that supposedly in an effort to determine whether or not any warrantied parts caused the failure in the hope that your warranty might cover works that now need to be undertaken?

3.  I would escalate this to the Dealer Principal at the main dealer without further delay.  You are saying that you were concerned there was a known fault on the car and sought expert main dealer VW advice and intervention.  However, they told you not to worry and to use the vehicle.  The vehicle then failed in the interim period, the suspicion being that the failure arose due to the concerns you had reported in the first instance.  You then had to pay £144 for the privilege of being told you need a new engine and yet they want hundreds of pounds more from you to spend time further diagnosing.  Unacceptable.

Offline Jags 84

• Not said much yet
@pld118

1. I have not told VW that I have a aftermarket warranty as the will just pass the buck. After discussing the issue previously with the warranty company they said they are fully aware of this timing chain issue/tensioner with the mk6 and they will not cover it as it is down to wear and tear, they also said to me if I keep driving it with the noise they definitely will not cover it as this is down to driver negligence this was a couple of weeks back before the engine failed.

2. They said they need the further 2.5 hours to investigate what was the cause of failure & to see if they can save some of the engine & just repair it. So hopefully if they say it was not the tensioner then I'm goingg straight back to the warranty company.

3. Exactly that they told me it's not that serious yet as it has not shown up on our diagnostic machine so carry on driving it until the engine light comes on. I have agreed the 2.5 hours at £90 p/hour. So far it has cost me £370 and they are still saying they are not sure if I will get any goodwill :angry: we need the car as my wife is a teacher and returns to work on Monday. Still no courtesy car either!!! How do I escalate it to the dealer principal?

Thanks

Offline Pld118

• GTI forum regular
PM sent Jags.