Author Topic: Car alarm going off in the middle of the night  (Read 9701 times)

Offline sjw

• I live here
Re: Car alarm going off in the middle of the night
« Reply #20 on: 10 December 2019, 11:30 »
Your dash cam was more than coincidentally installed when this started.

My father had this with his Nissan. Went back to the dealers multiple times and ultimately it was his dash cam triggering the internal alarm sensors through temperature. Can only assume it was installed next to the cabin sensor. Seems quite common on some other cars.

The dashcam was installed long before this started happening. The JB4 was installed a few days before it started.

It seems to be fixed now. I will just leave the dashcam as it is I think, and only set it to motion record if leaving it somewhere dodgy.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 30 March 2021, 14:08 »
Bumping this, as the bloody thing has started to do it again, probably 3 of the last 5 nights.

Someone mentioned that you can scan to find what triggered the alarm. I have an OBDEleven now, can I use that?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #22 on: 30 March 2021, 15:03 »
Do a scan, it will show up if its going to.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 30 March 2021, 15:47 »
You have any idea what it would show up as? I cleared all the codes today (there were a few - no idea what they were) so I will see if it happens again and then scan

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 30 March 2021, 16:32 »
Many years ago someone once told me the best way to get into a car which is alarmed is to keep setting it off, sooner or later you'll be that fed up of hearing it you'll leave your car unarmed and then the next time they try and set it off they'll be in.

Can you manually disable a Golf alarm?

2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 31 March 2021, 17:50 »
Thought I'd jump in as you're getting through some of the options suggested already :grin:. I'd try setting up a camera with night vision just to see if anything obvious is causing it to go off. Doesn't sound like you have one already.

Not sure how tech savvy you are, but you can get a Yi smart security camera 1080p for just under £19 and it runs though a phone app. There are lots available but it's just the one I have and it's fairly easy to use and setup if you have a little tech knowledge. It also has motion notifications so you can mark out a zone on the camera view and a time schedule and it'll send you a notification when it detects motion

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 31 March 2021, 19:19 »
Thanks Lordie, just gone onto Amazon and bought one.
May need some tips later on setting it up :grin:
Did you purchase the subscription for cloud storage?
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 01 April 2021, 10:44 »
Thought I'd jump in as you're getting through some of the options suggested already :grin:. I'd try setting up a camera with night vision just to see if anything obvious is causing it to go off. Doesn't sound like you have one already.

Not sure how tech savvy you are, but you can get a Yi smart security camera 1080p for just under £19 and it runs though a phone app. There are lots available but it's just the one I have and it's fairly easy to use and setup if you have a little tech knowledge. It also has motion notifications so you can mark out a zone on the camera view and a time schedule and it'll send you a notification when it detects motion

I've thought about getting things like that before. How are they powered?

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #29 on: 01 April 2021, 16:39 »
Thanks Lordie, just gone onto Amazon and bought one.
May need some tips later on setting it up :grin:
Did you purchase the subscription for cloud storage?

No worries :grin:. Nah, the cloud subscription really isn't needed. It works like a dashcam where it loop records and saves the new clip over the oldest one. That Yi camera is simple, easy, and cheap. So for anything better/more serious you should be spending a lot more. Hopefully it's easy enough to setup but you're welcome to PM me if you get stuck

One important thing I forgot to add in my last post (sorry!), you need a micro SD card to put in the camera. I have lots laying around so forgot to say, maybe you have one laying around from a digital camera or something?. If not they're only around £6 on Amazon for a 32GB

I've thought about getting things like that before. How are they powered?

It's USB powered. Comes with a wall plug adapter but can be plugged in anywhere then links to your WiFi and the phone app. I've got the ones on a stand so it goes inside in my window. Take a bit of tweaking to get the angle right so the IR night vision doesn't reflect on the glass but works ok. Pretty clear video in the day and night is viewable but you couldn't read a number plate for example. That would require a much better camera, but that hopefully isn't needed in this situation