Author Topic: MK1 Buying Guide  (Read 2153 times)

Offline wockhead

• Just got here
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
MK1 Buying Guide
« on: 04 November 2002, 17:05 »
I'm looking to buy a MK1 GTI in the next couple of weeks and to be honest, don't know alot about them. Ive always fancied one and decided it's about time i treated my self.

Have you got any pointers or guide lines to what to look out for and the different models as i've seen some GTI's are 1600 and some 1800?. Im looking to spend under a grand and im quite handy with a spanner so a fixer upper would suit.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: MK1 Buying Guide
« Reply #1 on: 07 November 2002, 21:50 »
hi there,

this is the sort of thing i have been meaning to get round to doing on golfgti.co.uk but it is a bit tricky to get spot on.

the very first mk1 GTI's were 1.6 4 speed, then they swapped to a 5 speed box and then later to the 1.8 8v engine.

the best thing to do is buy Performance VW magazine and also The Golf as the latter always has a buying guide section.

i would recomend a last of the line '83 A reg 'campaign' GTI but then again that is the one people always want.

check the www.performancevwmag.com classifieds section as there are always good cars for sale there.
if you are lucky you may be able to buy one from a true enthusiast :)

all the best in your search!

jv
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline wockhead

• Just got here
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: 08 November 2002, 16:39 »
Thanks for the reply, i've been to look at a 'y' reg one today with a mk2 engine, looked a bit tatty but solid, good alloys and tyres, it's been sat for about 6 months but runs ok. Problem is no mot which i'm a bit dubious about, why keep a car for 6 months and not mot it?.

The guy wanted ?500.00 for it and i might see if he's prepared to put it thru an mot first to see what it fails on....notice i didn't say 'if it fails', 'cause it's bound too.

I'll check that web site out, cheers. :-/

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 15 November 2002, 13:28 »
For 500 quid and a mk2 engine already installed I wouldn't worry to much about the MOT. As you say you are spanner handy you will be better off assessing the car yourself and sorting the MOT later.

Good luck with it ;)

jv
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline wockhead

• Just got here
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: 16 November 2002, 00:50 »
Hi
I am now the proud owner of an '83 mk1 gti! (campaign), managed to find one with 12 months mot for ?800.00. It drove like a bag of spanners on the way home but have sorted a few bits out.

Put a gearbox linkage repair kit on it 'cause i had to use a fishing rod to find a gear and the gear box now feels as tight as a nuns bum. (used the 'how to' guide on thegti web site), got the wheels balanced at college and it seems to drive pretty well.

Just a problem that i could do with some advice on; after i've been running the car for a while, i stop, switch the engine off and get a small fuel leak that drips from beneath the car directly under the filler hole, but it does'nt leak with the engine running. The fuel pump is making a rumbling sound whilst the ignition is on and the breather pipe with the one way valve on the end has been cut from the tank and a screw stuffed in the pipe to seal it!.....would this be causing the problem?

There dose'nt seem to be any witness marks of where the fuel is leaking from.

Sorry for the essay, hope you can help.

Regards
:-/