Author Topic: Hi i'm new here and have a few questions  (Read 4101 times)

Offline AW3K

• Just got here
Hi i'm new here and have a few questions
« on: 01 January 2003, 21:12 »
hello i'm new here and new to the golf scene.

i like the site keep up the good work. :D

i know nothing about golfs at all apart from they are nice cars.

Someone who my dad knows is selling a golf (not a GTI).

But which mark is it?

It dosn't look aslong as my brothers j or k reg (can't remember which) 1.6 driver

Its an E reg 1.3

with the mirrors connected to the door metal. twin lights at the front rather large rear lights kinda rounded??

Is it worth it as a fist car 124k on the clock,

slight rusting on the arches and in the door (i think)
Paint touched up in places.

He's asking ?300 ono for it and as a skint student it looks alright.

Is there anything i should look for or out for before buying it?

I'm gonna do a HPI check before you say :)

please help

Thanks

Andy
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

Offline Ows

• Not said much yet
  • Phat mk2 sitting low- dont sleep the mk3 is next!
Re: Hi i'm new here and have a few questions
« Reply #1 on: 03 January 2003, 16:04 »
Hey there

Im a new member myself, but ill add what knowledge i can to help you out.

Firstly being a broke student myself i can empathise about the running costs (mpg, insurance etc) so the 1.3 engine seems like a reasonable choice, although u may find it slightly underpowered for the car..

By the info that you have given it sounds like it is a Mk2 Golf, they were made from A to J reg (correct me if im wrong please anyone!!)

I own a mk2 golf driver H reg 1.6, which has done 162,00 miles and is still going strong, i would suggest that if u can find a car with fsh or some record of maintenance then it would be preferable as although golfs are very sturdy cars they do benefit from having tlc.

Ive done a fair amount of work to my car, as being young (20) i cant afford a mk3 vr6 or ideally a r32  8) but hey gimme a few years!! Ive added big bumpers and a 3 bar single headlight grille lowered it and obtained some bbs alloys from a gti.  There are loads of parts and places and people who can help if you have any probs.

So basically for the money.. ?300? you would do alot better than picking up an equivalent car e.g. a fiesta and probably make your money go further.

Hope this helps you out anyway, and if people want to see pics of my car then give me a shout

Cheers
Roll on hitting the limiter in a peachy vr6

Offline AW3K

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 04 January 2003, 23:59 »
thank you for answering my questions.

I'm going to get it soon :)

I got a quote for third party fire and thieft ?860.45 was the cheapest from CIS.

the body work will be all re done at college for the price of the raw materials!!! so thats all the rust gone etc and a full propper re spary in a dust less booth for about ?50

Can i have alook at the pics of your car please

Thanks

AW3K

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2003, 20:12 »
Hi, I agree with Ows in that a Golf is a hell of a lot better than the Fiesta/Uno/Nova/etc options ?:)

It might cost you a bit more in insurance even if it is a 1.3 ?;) but I reckon you will enjoy it. As for the cheap respray at college you are sorted!

Check out www.parkers.co.uk for buying guide type stuff.

Also, it might be because I am a bit older but www.egg.com seems pretty good for insurance at the mo'.

Cheers,

jv
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by -1 »
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline AW3K

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2003, 21:35 »
hi

thanks for the reply

Like i said its in good condition for its age etc.

i've been told that the quote i was given was brill by some people i work with.  they are like ?1k plus on 1.1L fiestas etc  :o

How much am i looking at for a drivers seat from a scrap yard and new (they are black with white dashes) i think?
It has a rather large rip in it for some reason.

Thanks

Andrew

ows

« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2003, 22:50 »
great glad u decided to join the vw community!

Thats not a bad price on insurance, i paid just over ?1000 with cis for my driver third party so thats about par for the course.

Right, this is the best bit about golfs, there are always bits and pieces about and available as long as u know who to ask and where 2 look.

As far as new seats, you could try and locate some gti recaro seats from a scrappy, i read somewhere that they made them for ford rs's and sr novas so they might be of use.  I wouldnt pay more than ?80 quid for a mint set (inc headreasts) but then im tight and know how 2 haggle  ;D-It really depends on your budget and which style you want to persue (e.g. modified, standard, euro look) as there have been many weird and wonderful things done to mk2 golfs... ::)

Check out sites like www.awesome-gti.co.uk as they have a second hand parts section where people have upgraded their cars and are getting shot of their bits and pieces...

Ill try and brave the cold weather and post some pics up...JV how can i do this? sorry im new 2 this!!!

Cheers again hope everyone is enjoying their cars and hope 2 post again soon

Ows

Offline AW3K

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2003, 22:58 »
to put up pictures you need to upload them to a website and use the imgage tags 4th icon from left that looks like a tv it produces [img ]URL[ /img] without the spaces , you put the web address inbetween the tags

like so

Oh thats what i spend most of my money on- modding pcs

AW3K
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by -1 »

ows

« Reply #7 on: 05 January 2003, 23:52 »
nice work andrew!  I like my pc and golf modded to the best i can 8)

Offline AW3K

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 05 January 2003, 23:54 »
:D thank you

Have you been to my site? tell us what you think etc

www.AW3K.co.uk

Thanks

Andrew