Author Topic: Returning to a Mk4... some questions!  (Read 4840 times)

Offline CitizenKane

• Not said much yet
Returning to a Mk4... some questions!
« on: 22 August 2017, 07:59 »
About 18 months ago I ditched my Mk4 GTi in favour of a lovely spec 2013 e92 320d. Now for various reasons, mainly the shifting of financial priorities towards things like houses and weddings (but also because I have gotten pretty bored driving a big heavy diesel) I am considering selling the e92 and going back to my Golf as my daily drive.

I just have a few questions about the Mk4 as I am now a bit out of touch with the VAG scene, and I would be very grateful for any guidance:

1. Remapping - although the 320d didn't feel particularly fast, it is a quicker car than the Golf (the 150bhp engine in my case) so I am considering a remap to keep things interesting. Am I correct in saying that the 180bhp engine is effectively the same engine as the 150bhp but with a more aggressive ECU map, meaning that I should be able to achieve close to 180bhp with a conservative remap with relative ease?

2. Related to the above, is there any kind of OEM remap or performance upgrade available for this car (like the performance pack option they have for the Mk7 for example)? I know OEM remaps tend to be more conservative than aftermarket but in my experience they are also more palatable to insurers, which is why I would be leaning towards one if possible.

3. Exhaust - similar to the above, are there any OEM exhaust options for this car, like the performance exhausts that BMW make as retrofit options for certain of their models? If not, can anyone recommend a good aftermarket exhaust?

4. Can anyone recommend a good place (online) to buy (i) OEM parts (for the various boring bits I need to replace like the glove compartment cover and brake lights, etc.); and (ii) aftermarket parts (if I get tempted to add something a little different to the car)?

5. Performance generally - I'm struggling to find a consistent answer to this, but does anyone have any reasonably accurate 0-60 times for this car, in both the 150bhp and 180bhp variants? According to Wikipedia the 180bhp engine does 0-60 in 6.4 seconds, but that sounds a little ambitious to me...

Any help appreciated!

Thank you!
« Last Edit: 22 August 2017, 08:25 by CitizenKane »

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: Returning to a Mk4... some questions!
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2017, 10:22 »
Look for a 2001-2003 car that way it's easier to have remapped and you will get more than 180bhp with a couple of supporting mods i.e. Exhaust and decent air filter  :smiley: some 2003-2004s had the 6 speed gearbox fitted and you can pick a decent one up for 800-1000

As for buying bit there is loads breaking and eBay sells everything you will ever need and it depends on your location as to who I'd recommend for the remap
« Last Edit: 22 August 2017, 10:25 by barrym381 »

Offline CitizenKane

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2017, 10:28 »
Thanks mate. Sorry just to be clear, I held on to my old GTi and it has basically been sitting on my driveway for the best part of a year, so my intention is to get it back on the road! It's a 2002 150bhp.

I'm in Ireland so probably no use asking for a remap recommendation!

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2017, 15:46 »
Thanks mate. Sorry just to be clear, I held on to my old GTi and it has basically been sitting on my driveway for the best part of a year, so my intention is to get it back on the road! It's a 2002 150bhp.

I'm in Ireland so probably no use asking for a remap recommendation!
There is a few people you can send the ecu too but it's a pain in the arse getting them out the 2002 will have the aum engine with ko3s so 180 is easy to get  :smiley:

Offline CitizenKane

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2017, 18:18 »
Thanks for the replies mate.

One of the first things that I want to do mod-wise is to fit an R32 bumper. I want to put an OEM bumper on if I can (even though I'm sure it will cost nearly as much as the car itself is worth...), but I am having a lot of trouble finding anything OEM for sale.

I guess this ties into my question 4 in my OP - can anyone recommend anywhere that sells OEM stuff? There were loads of websites to buy OEM stuff for my BMW but I can't find much for VW parts. Will I maybe just need to buy through a dealer?

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2017, 18:23 »

One of the first things that I want to do mod-wise is to fit an R32 bumper. I want to put an OEM bumper on if I can (even though I'm sure it will cost nearly as much as the car itself is worth...), but I am having a lot of trouble finding anything OEM for sale.

I guess this ties into my question 4 in my OP - can anyone recommend anywhere that sells OEM stuff? There were loads of websites to buy OEM stuff for my BMW but I can't find much for VW parts. Will I maybe just need to buy through a dealer?

eBay and forums for the front bumper don't buy a replica and this guy breaks 1.8ts all the time  :smiley:

https://www.gumtree.com/sellerads/1263826491?page=1

Offline Ant1981

• I live here
  • Feed me, prod me
« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2017, 10:49 »
Don't know if I'd take a MK4 and remap one these days, they'll be high mileage ones on the market nearing the end of their life.
80% of your posts are total tripe, as they are mostly replies to sh1te posts created by the morons that, unfortunately this forum attracts.

'02 VW Golf 1.8 GTi Turbo - 186,000 miles
'09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
1990 VW Golf GTi 16V - Gone but not forgotten
Currently considering next car

Offline CitizenKane

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 01 September 2017, 12:28 »

eBay and forums for the front bumper don't buy a replica and this guy breaks 1.8ts all the time  :smiley:

https://www.gumtree.com/sellerads/1263826491?page=1

Thanks mate. I can't see any OEM Mk4 R32 bumpers on ebay, but I'll keep an eye out elsewhere. There is loads of OEM Mk5 R32 stuff around, it's funny how much rarer Mk4 parts are.

The other thing I want to get is a set of R32/Aristo wheels, which are nearly as difficult to find. I have managed to find a set on ebay but they are from the US and shipping will cost a fortune (assuming they even ship to Ireland, which they may not)!

Offline CitizenKane

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 01 September 2017, 12:29 »
Don't know if I'd take a MK4 and remap one these days, they'll be high mileage ones on the market nearing the end of their life.

Hi mate. I already have the Mk4, I never got rid of my old one, so that's the one I'm returning to  :smiley:

Offline Ant1981

• I live here
  • Feed me, prod me
« Reply #9 on: 01 September 2017, 14:25 »

Hi mate. I already have the Mk4, I never got rid of my old one, so that's the one I'm returning to  :smiley:

That's not so bad then. If someone bought mine, they'll be getting one with 190k on t' clock, though mine was remapped a long long long time ago - due to its age and mileage it gets an easy ride now, though has the power when needed at a busy junction.
80% of your posts are total tripe, as they are mostly replies to sh1te posts created by the morons that, unfortunately this forum attracts.

'02 VW Golf 1.8 GTi Turbo - 186,000 miles
'09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
1990 VW Golf GTi 16V - Gone but not forgotten
Currently considering next car