Author Topic: Best shampoo - thoughts?  (Read 7568 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Best shampoo - thoughts?
« on: 20 November 2017, 14:01 »
Been using the Auto Finesse Lather for a few years which does produce a really nice lather (as you'd expect with that name!) and is ph neutral. Had some Autoglym stuff left over and in comparison its really poor.

I always used a snow foam first but hand wash with a nice shampoo and wash mitt is important.

I've run out of the Lather so just about to order some more shampoo and thought I'd see if there are any other recommends?

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: Best shampoo - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2017, 14:25 »
What is it you don't like about Autoglym? I know if you use it as directed, it makes hardly any suds. I buy it in bulk (25litres for just over £40) so can afford to be a bit more liberal with it.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2017, 14:42 »
I use Swissvax Car Bath.  Love it!   It foams well and is a very lubricious solution, meaning it glides so well over the paintwork, so the only a light touch with the wash mitt is needed (especially after the touchless snow foam and citrus pre-wash pre cleaning stages have has done the majority of the work).  It’s very wax friendly especially with the Swissvax waxes I use.  Expensive but concentrated so a little goes a long way, so works out not too bad.

After Car Bath, my favourite is DoDo Juice Supernatural Concentrated Shampoo

I’ve tried a few others.   

DoDo Juice Born to be Mild Shampoo.
Obsessive Detail Concentrated Strawberry Shampoo   
OCD Clarity Shampoo
Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss Shampoo
Chemical Guys Glossworkz Shampoo
Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II Shampoo
Poorboys Slick & Suds Shampoo

What protection you have on the car may determine what shampoo would be most complementary to that, to prolong the life of your chosen LSP and in some cases reactivate and refresh it. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2017, 15:05 »
GTechniq W1, smells lovely, good foam, goes a long way and seems to lubricate well. I like to try new stuff but when it comes to this one I haven't bothered, very pleased :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2017, 15:33 »
What is it you don't like about Autoglym? I know if you use it as directed, it makes hardly any suds. I buy it in bulk (25litres for just over £40) so can afford to be a bit more liberal with it.

Yeah, initially it seems to foam up and then disappears completely. I seem to use more than directed but even still, the lather doesn't last.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 20 November 2017, 17:09 »
I use Swissvax Car Bath.  Love it!   It foams well and is a very lubricious solution, meaning it glides so well over the paintwork, so the only a light touch with the wash mitt is needed (especially after the touchless snow foam and citrus pre-wash pre cleaning stages have has done the majority of the work).  It’s very wax friendly especially with the Swissvax waxes I use.  Expensive but concentrated so a little goes a long way, so works out not too bad.

After Car Bath, my favourite is DoDo Juice Supernatural Concentrated Shampoo

I’ve tried a few others.   

DoDo Juice Born to be Mild Shampoo.
Obsessive Detail Concentrated Strawberry Shampoo   
OCD Clarity Shampoo
Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss Shampoo
Chemical Guys Glossworkz Shampoo
Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II Shampoo
Poorboys Slick & Suds Shampoo

What protection you have on the car may determine what shampoo would be most complementary to that, to prolong the life of your chosen LSP and in some cases reactivate and refresh it.

Thanks Rebecca,

Good information, will take a look at some of the products as got a 2 year old RS3 to work on this weekend coming and have run out of my normal stuff.

GTechniq W1, smells lovely, good foam, goes a long way and seems to lubricate well. I like to try new stuff but when it comes to this one I haven't bothered, very pleased :smiley:

Cheers, Will check this out. Used Gtechniq on my detailing course.
NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline 7MAT

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 22 November 2017, 15:05 »
We produce, that is Britemax two shampoos; a regular wash wax shampoo called 'Clean Max' with added polymers for sheeting and our new pure shampoo named 'Pure Max' which is super concentrated at up to 1:2000 and contains no oils, waxes or polymers and is even SLS and paraben FREE. The perfect solution for ceramic coated cars.

Both currently available with 25% OFF for Black Friday.
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=282603.0

Matt

MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, 3 door, Issac Blue, DCC, Manual. Racingline Stage 1 OEM+, Remus Exhaust system, Sache Performance Clutch.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 22 November 2017, 15:21 »
For the last couple of years I have used DoDo Juice shampoos.  Sour Power on my Golf(s), because it is supposed to contain Carnauba, and Born to be Mild on my S2000.  Both produced very satisfactory results, with a good lather.

Now that winter is looming and I've sold the S2000, I'm going to experiment with Gyeon Bathe and Gyeon Wet Coat, simply to make washing less of a faff in bad weather.  I haven't used either of them yet, but I'll report back.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2017, 13:31 »
Right then.  After a wash with Gyeon Bathe+ and a quick rinse:

I'm impressed!
« Last Edit: 24 November 2017, 16:15 by Dr Mike Oxgreen »

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 25 November 2017, 14:41 »
Looks very smart Dr Mike :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.