Author Topic: Any other 17 yr old GTI drivers?  (Read 9434 times)

Offline giorgio1712

• GTI forum regular
Any other 17 yr old GTI drivers?
« on: 04 October 2007, 22:05 »
I can't believe it, saw a mk2 8v in the pare rang up insurance, same price as my 1,2 punto (£700)  :laugh:  so went and bought it! Any other 17 year old GTI owners on here?

Offline BIG D

• GTI forum regular
Re: Any other 17 yr old GTI drivers?
« Reply #1 on: 04 October 2007, 22:25 »
who`s your insurance with

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2007, 21:54 »
yea id like tho know aswell  :grin: i got quoted £4663 lolz

even a 1.8 driver was £2300  :sad:

Offline mad_marc2k4

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2007, 17:53 »
Im An 18 Year Old Gti Driver?

Whats Up Then?

Offline Mooby

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 08 October 2007, 12:35 »
I can't believe it, saw a mk2 8v in the pare rang up insurance, same price as my 1,2 punto (£700)  :laugh:  so went and bought it! Any other 17 year old GTI owners on here?
That's gotta be wrong!  Thats less than I pay for mine! granted it's a Mk3 VR6 and not a Mk2 GTI, but I'm 28 with 1 year's no claims.
Sold the VR6... Now officially An Old Man With A Passat Estate.  At least it's a 1.8T :grin:

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 08 October 2007, 13:40 »
I just got a quote on an 8v gti in the for sale section and it was £2700 third party fire & theft :(

Offline DaveGTiMK

• Here all the time
  • 16v MK3 GTi
« Reply #6 on: 09 October 2007, 09:47 »
is it just you on the policy or do you have your mum or dad on it as named drivers, this brings the cost down massivly for new drivers but can be dodgey if its in their name and not yours especially if the car is registered in your name. Watch you for this common error as it could get you in trouble if your in an accident.

Gonna hangout with the wangout

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #7 on: 09 October 2007, 11:15 »
is it just you on the policy or do you have your mum or dad on it as named drivers, this brings the cost down massivly for new drivers but can be dodgey if its in their name and not yours especially if the car is registered in your name. Watch you for this common error as it could get you in trouble if your in an accident.

Very true, insurers are now getting wise to this. Its called "fronting" where a parent fronts the risk to get the price down even though the young driver is the registered owner and main user. If your insurer believes this is the case in the event of a claim you could land up in trouble, its usually pretty obvoius (eg Mummy has a nice sensible mk5 dsl but then just happens to want to insure a modified mk2 which just happens to have her son on as a named driver but its her car and she will still be the main user etc......ok so yeah im sure there are the odd occasions where this is the case but its not very likely is it?  :rolleyes: :laugh:)

With having parents as named drivers on your own policy i would alwasy suggest trying it with and without them as although it is true that it makes it cheaper with some companies, others also give a discount for "insured only" driving etc  :wink:

Martin  :smiley:

TeddyKGB

**DELETED**
« Reply #8 on: 09 October 2007, 18:07 »
Could never understand that - why does it go down loads with say your mam on as a named driver? :evil:
« Last Edit: 09 October 2007, 19:04 by TeddyKGB »

Offline samjac68

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 14 October 2007, 00:02 »

who is that insurer!!!!!!! :laugh:

Not got a golf yet! did have a 1.6 driver plan to have another project car soon ;)