Author Topic: 3 points: Do i need to inform my current insurance company  (Read 6289 times)

R98 HUF

Dumb question probably but ive never had points before, i have been a tit and now have 3 for speeding!
15 years i kept that licence clean
Do i need to tell my current insurer now or wait till my renewal is due?  And if so will it affect this years premium?

Thanks

Offline gsn1978

• Here all the time
Re: 3 points: Do i need to inform my current insurance company
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2007, 10:45 »
defo!! my brother in law lost his licence for not declaring 3 points, he had 3 points declaired but then got another 3, 6 weeks before his renewal and thought nothing off it untill he was pulled again, he went to court and when there the judge pointed out that he had 6 but his docs only showed 3, so he wasnt technicly insured, this he got 3 points and a 60 pound fine (9 points now) and then got 3 point and a 300 pound fine for no insurance.. dun dun daaaa, 12 points 360 fine and a 6 mth ban!! so best let them know dude!  :laugh:
Cheers, George.... 1.8 GTIt and loving it!!

R98 HUF

« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2007, 11:05 »
thanks ill call them today, my licence is still with Essex Police so i may wait till i get that back, they said 14 days so it should be this week.

Offline stomper

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 07 September 2007, 11:30 »
Who's been a naughty boy!

Definitely tell them.

They won't pay out if you have an accident.

If it's your first 3 it shouldn't really affect the premium, depends on your insurer.

2003 Black Magic Bora Sport 1.8T (180)
AMD remap
Milltek Cat-back exhaust
18" BBS RC's
Eibach 30mm Springs with Boge Shocks
Front and Rear V6 4Motion Valances

R98 HUF

« Reply #4 on: 07 September 2007, 11:34 »
yeah i got caught 45 in a newly limited 30 (was always 40) dont use the road that often, and it was good road conditions and dry just used to driving at 40ish.......  so drove as normal and man in yellow jacket and hairdryer jumped out and nicked me.  My fault ill take my points, pay the fine and move on....

R98 HUF

« Reply #5 on: 07 September 2007, 11:39 »
Just told the Insurance company and no affect on premium. 

Thanks for the advise

Offline Uruk Hai

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 07 September 2007, 11:44 »
In cases like this honesty and keeping valid insurance is the best policy  :grin:

Offline Britman

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 11 September 2007, 17:46 »
i didnt oops when i had points not till i renued, luckerly ive got 0 points now, thought id rub it in did have 6 at one point

Offline DubFan

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 15 September 2007, 17:52 »
I forgot to declare my points for a month, then I called the insurance company and told them, they said it was fine and just asked what date I got the points.
Always worth doing, otherwise insurance is invalid.

Offline DaveGTiMK

• Here all the time
  • 16v MK3 GTi
« Reply #9 on: 09 October 2007, 10:03 »
why do most insurance companies ask if you have had in motoring convictions in the last 5 years if the points only stay on for 3. If you do the crime you do the time but insurance campanies seem to drag it out for another 2 years, is this fair or right?

Gonna hangout with the wangout