Author Topic: 17 year old - where do I start?  (Read 10751 times)

Offline Deankarl

• Just got here
17 year old - where do I start?
« on: 22 August 2010, 17:31 »
Hi, I'm 17 and looking to get some form of Volkswagen..  I've looked at loads of things over the past year but now its coming to the time where I need to start thinking about what I want to get and sticking with it..

My current options that I've thought of are:

• A golf (mk 1 2 or 3)
  • A caddy (mk 1 or 2)
  • A polo(mk 1 or 2)

Ideally I'd like a caddy, but I just don't know where to start and whether it would be a possibility insurance-wise.. Can someone please give me pointers as to where I should start and what models of each car to look at? Sorry if the post is a bit vague but I'm really confused and I don't know where to start..

EDIT: What insurers should I look at? Which are generally best for young drivers? HIC don't seem to cover anyone <19 years old..
« Last Edit: 22 August 2010, 17:38 by Deankarl »

Offline luke

• I live here
  • When in doubt, whip it out!
Re: 17 year old - where do I start?
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2010, 21:10 »
cheapest bet would be a polo with the lowest engine possible, just check different quotes on something like go compare to give you a general idea of prices..
1985 mk2 gti type 19 8v
2018 t roc sel 1.6tdi

Offline Phil1980

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2010, 21:36 »
Definately go for the polo maybe a 1.4, cheap to run and look good with a couple of mods.  Use all the comparison sites for insurance its going to be expensive wherever you go but that will be your best bet to find the cheapest.
MK5 2005 GTI, BLACK, 3 DR, 18" MONZA II, XENONS

Offline Deankarl

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2010, 22:06 »
How much are we looking at for a mechanically sound polo? Not bothered about it looking like a bag of rats, just want it to run.. I'm wanting to learn bodywork skills anyway..

Also, how much would you say a polo will be to insure?

Offline Deankarl

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 23 August 2010, 14:20 »
Been thinking a bit more.. Am I being unrealistic by looking at a caddy for a first car?
It'd be ideal for me because I can just chuck the bikes in the back and go away riding for the day with a friend..

If I looked at getting the lowest spec engine possible with caddies, how much would i be looking at for insurance?

Offline MrBounce

• I live here
  • Bora TDi 130 Highline - usually filthy.
« Reply #5 on: 24 August 2010, 22:12 »
Your best bet is to start ringing around for some quotes on a few vehicles. You'll probably find that a Caddy may not be the easiest thing to insure first time out as it's esentially a commercial vehicle (albeit a very small one). I would agree that having a Polo rather than a Golf is a better starting point. Dec on here started with a Golf 1.6 Mk2 though and is now on an Audi A3 just 4 years later.

It all depends on what you can afford to pay. Whatever you choose, it will be expensive...  :rolleyes: :smiley:

Keeping schtum. Mostly.

Offline Deankarl

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 25 August 2010, 15:39 »
Haha I've been learning in an A3 s-line..  :D

I'll have a chat to him and see how bad it was for him insurance-wise.. Has anyone seen someone with a caddy as their first car before?

Offline FuzzyDubber

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2010, 15:45 »
All im gonna say is my first golf was & still is a mk3 1.4 match and cost me £2000 first year, 2nd year was £1600 and then my latest quote for this year is £1000. Still alot of quid to consider though :cry:
Fuzz

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #8 on: 31 August 2010, 23:25 »
All im gonna say is my first golf was & still is a mk3 1.4 match and cost me £2000 first year, 2nd year was £1600 and then my latest quote for this year is £1000. Still alot of quid to consider though :cry:
Fuzz

Fook me, how much!!  :shocked:

My first car was a mk3 1.4 match and i paid £4750 first year and £380 second year then changed to my Gti for which i'm paying £470 with mods declared.

***EDIT: but that was starting at 19 not 17!

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2010, 23:34 »
Fuzz

Fook me, how much!!  :shocked:

My first car was a mk3 1.4 match and i paid £4750 first year and £380 second year then changed to my Gti for which i'm paying £470 with mods declared.

***EDIT: but that was starting at 19 not 17!

fook me! how much!

first year I started my insurance was £250 TPFT*

* ahem... that was some time ago though!