Author Topic: Salvage rights/buying back with Admiral  (Read 9822 times)

Offline tony_ack

• I live here
Salvage rights/buying back with Admiral
« on: 29 April 2010, 11:01 »
I hit a car that pulled out of a blind junction in front of me yesterday. It was his fault, and now I've contacted the insurers (Admiral) to make the claim.

My baby is a write-off  :cry: Even if I bought her back, one of the door pillars is bent and the roof has given slightly, so probably a Cat C. For a Mk2 8v 5 door, it's probably not even going to be worth me repairing it.

I want to get the salvage rights, but the person I spoke to on the phone said it was handled by another department, and she couldn't put me through, as they didn't have details of my case yet. She said they would be in touch in 1-2 days.

Meanwhile, the salvage company have already contacted me to arrange to pick up my car. They wanted to collect it tomorrow, but I managed to stall them until Tuesday until I could speak to someone about salvage rights.

The car is mint (other than the damage of course) and a runout model, with a good engine, mint rainbow interior, BBS RAs, good panels, etc (even got the first aid box in the boot). I could probably make a fair bit of money from breaking.

So I have two questions:

1. Has anyone dealt with Admiral when making a claim? What are they like with salvage rights? Do they let you buy the car back?
2. What's the benefit from leaving the car mint from a claims perspective? Will it significantly increase the value of the payout? Or am I better off putting in a tatty interior, swapping the wheels and removing the trim before it's collected? If leaving it mint rather than getting all the mint parts out is only worth £100 or so, then I may as well remove what I can if I'm not getting the car back.
1992 VW Golf MK2 GTI
1995 VW Corrado VR6

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: Salvage rights/buying back with Admiral
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2010, 11:10 »
Firstly do not let them take the car. Until you have settled the claim and taken any monies paid to you the car is yours and not theirs. BY all means let them inspect it for valuation though.

Secondly haggle, haggle, haggle. Print off ads for similar cars to provide evidence of it's worth not just the book value of a MKII Gti which is about £500. DO NOT Excpet any offer until you are happy that the settlement is good and that they include you keeping the car (The "Scrap value" will be deducted from your payout along with your excess).

You should end up with enough money to buy a new car of the same condition (possibly more) once you have broken the old one on ebay.

Hope this helps.

nick

Offline tony_ack

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2010, 14:01 »
Thanks for the reply. Will the assessors come on site to view the car if I tell them it's not to be taken away? Could the insurance company play hard ball and insist that they won't send assessors unless it's at a designated salvage garage?
1992 VW Golf MK2 GTI
1995 VW Corrado VR6

Offline tony_ack

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2010, 14:07 »
Sorry - one more insurance question, slightly related...

I'm guessing that it's going to take a while to get back the uninsured losses from the other driver's insurance company. I was told that as well as my excess, I'll also get back any NCB I've lost (I go from 4 to 2) should he accept liability or be proven to be liable.

If I get a new car and take out insurance before I get my 2 years NCB back, will I be able to revise my policy at a later date, reinstating my full 4 years NCB?
1992 VW Golf MK2 GTI
1995 VW Corrado VR6

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #4 on: 29 April 2010, 14:16 »
Thanks for the reply. Will the assessors come on site to view the car if I tell them it's not to be taken away? Could the insurance company play hard ball and insist that they won't send assessors unless it's at a designated salvage garage?

Not sure, they may not even send an assesor. Just be clear in all communication that the car is not to be taken for salvage until you have a agreed and accepted a settlement.

As for your other questions I have no idea I'm afraid.

nick

Offline tony_ack

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2010, 16:47 »
Just got a call from Admiral, and it's good news. The've cancelled the salvage collection, and have advised that the car needs to be inspected by a garage, and a report complied. They passed my details on to an affiliated garage, which is Yes Car Clinic, who want to come and collect the car for inspection. I have delayed them a little in case I can sort something out myself.

Admiral stated that buying the car back would depend on the outcome of the report - Cat C and D should be no problem and Cat B may be okay as long as I produce a certificate that I've destroyed the car one it's broken.

I was even considering getting a repair quote too for the chassis and shell damage if it comes back as a Cat C or D, but I guess I was being over-sentimental  :smiley:
1992 VW Golf MK2 GTI
1995 VW Corrado VR6

Offline chrisbowie86

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 05 December 2011, 07:29 »
I think it would be great if the result comes positive in Cat c report as your vehicle would not be repaired and would be replaced. :drool:

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #7 on: 07 December 2011, 16:56 »
I think it would be great if the result comes positive in Cat c report as your vehicle would not be repaired and would be replaced. :drool:

The thread is a year and a half old :lipsrsealed:

Offline walchy01

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 02 January 2012, 07:56 »
And the final outcome a year and a half later is......................... :grin:

Would be nice to know for any future unlucky member being in the same position thou :wink:

Offline mvb

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 11 January 2012, 11:29 »

The thread is a year and a half old :lipsrsealed:

LOL and there i was readnig the whole damn thang!!!  :grin:
I Love My GTI