Author Topic: Motion Sensor deactivation - question ?  (Read 2257 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Motion Sensor deactivation - question ?
« on: 12 July 2018, 07:59 »
love my new 7.5 GTI, but as part of VW’s ongoing cost cutting excercises we know they they have removed the small button at the bottom of the B Pillar for the interior motion sensor deactivation, and this feature now reside in a menu in one of the car set up screens.

Due to the warmer weather we have been having, I typically like to leave my windows open an inch or so to let the warm air out. It’s been a bit of a pain having to keep going into the menus each time, so was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to retrofit the old switch at the bottom of the B pillar trim and do a bit of coding to get it activated ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Motion Sensor deactivation - question ?
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2018, 09:06 »
You'd have to work out where the old switch was wired to and if the same control unit still existed in the Mk7.5...

Even then, is the control unit programmed the same?

It sounds simple, but I suspect its going to be an utter ball ache.

Wait until the Mk8... I suspect that 90% of the switches will be on the touch screen. Heating controls next - the menu item already exists in the Mk7.5 but you also have the retro physical switches.... next step, gone and VW save a few hundred euros a car.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2018, 09:30 »
I always understood that switch was for deactivating the tilt alarm so the car could be recovered, transported or shipped onboard car ferries.
It is what Ive always used it for on my Mk5&7.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2018, 09:44 »
No, it deactivates the volumetric sensors inside the cabin.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Davey-c

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2018, 11:55 »
I always understood that switch was for deactivating the tilt alarm so the car could be recovered, transported or shipped onboard car ferries.
It is what Ive always used it for on my Mk5&7.

That’s how I use it on my Clubsport. When we have to leave the dog in the car on the ferry from Scotland we press the button in to stop the alarm going off.
2023 Golf R 20 Years, Lapiz Blue, 19 Inch Black Estoril Alloys, Rear Camera, Harmon Kardon Sound System.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2018, 15:43 »
Its both....

From the VW manual:

Switching off the interior monitoring system and anti-tow alarm

The orientation lighting in the button m/k/s138MK must be lit up when switching the systems off ⇒ Fig. 32 . To switch the orientation lighting on, remove the vehicle key from the ignition lock and open the driver door.

Press the m/k/s138MK button ⇒ Fig. 32 . A yellow indicator lamp will light up in the button until the vehicle is locked.

Close all doors and the tailgate.

Lock the vehicle using the vehicle key. The interior monitoring system and anti-towing alarm are switched off until the next time the vehicle is locked.

The interior monitoring system and anti-tow alarm should therefore be switched off before the vehicle is locked in any of the following, or similar, situations:

If any people or animals are to remain inside the vehicle for a short period.

If the vehicle is to be loaded onto another vehicle.

If the vehicle is being transported (e.g. on a ferry).

If the vehicle is going to be towed with one axle off the ground.

If the vehicle is to be parked in a two-storey garage.

If the vehicle is to be parked in a car wash.