Author Topic: Small power reduction to some high performance petrol engines  (Read 6016 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Can someone please share on the Rforum........

I am banned from there still I think  :rolleyes:

Yes, will do.  The ‘R’ is actually missing from your original post. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
S3 is down to 300 too.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
(a whole second of difference at 200km/h means several cars length in between the two cars).

Surely that only matters if you're racing?

Probably... same as any power or acceleration figure only matters to racers usually  :huh:

No need for concern for road car drivers then. However, if having to brake from 120 rather than 118mph to the McDonalds roundabout is an issue, then perhaps it should matter.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Evo taking about the reasons and how the power decrease is happening.

http://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/21458/volkswagen-golf-r-power-reduced-due-to-new-wltp-regs?_mout=1&utm_campaign=evo_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

Funny that it doesn’t say this is a step back to the same power as the original Mk7 R?  :rolleyes:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
No need for concern for road car drivers then. However, if having to brake from 120 rather than 118mph to the McDonalds roundabout is an issue, then perhaps it should matter.

Absolutely no concern at all. We know anyway that people usually pay the premium for 300bhp cars instead of the lesser variants to only ever accelerate in a calm controlled manner, always stay below 70mph and never engage in any sort of "testing" against other cars. Makes sense that no R owner/buyer would care about acceleration figures, first thing they check is usually mpg  :laugh:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
From that Evo link:

"Essentially the power loss has come from the need to fit a more restrictive exhaust to reduce nitrogen oxide emissions – something more stringently policed under WLTP. "

That'll be the particulate filter then. Do I win a prize?

"SEAT also recently went through a similar process with its Leon Cupra."

Golly, how strange, an entirely separate car manufacturer with the same problem and solution.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
Golly, how strange, an entirely separate car manufacturer with the same problem and solution.

:grin: :grin:

On a serious note, will that be really an extra part of the exhaust (filter) or it is rather a more restrictive catalyst? Because from the wording used it is not clear what's the case.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
Petrol particulate filter.

When they introduced those to oil burners with Euro5 the performance dropped right off.

It took a while for better designs and other changes to bring it back, which they won't do for the Mk7.5, this is just an emergency retrofit. Mk8 should be better...

I'd imagine that much like the earlier oil burners, removing the PPF will see quite good gains, but I'd imagine that's a MOT fail...

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
Just checking out these posts about the R.I was shocked to see the first year VED for a manual is £800!.DSG £500.I know it's £140 a year thereafter but that's a total rip off!.Maybe the lower emissions will make a bit of difference.
Current: Golf GTD MK7  3 door manual carbon grey.