Author Topic: Small power reduction to some high performance petrol engines  (Read 6015 times)

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here

Small power reduction to some high performance petrol engines
VW0677-18 03 JUL 2018
Two high-performance model year 2019 (MY19) petrol engines will have reduced power output in order to meet the EURO 6 BG emission standards.

In the context of new homologations, there are adaptions for the exhaust-gas-treatment and for the power output, as follows:

Golf 2.0 TSI DSG: reduction from 310PS to 300PS and now only offered with DSG transmission
Arteon Elegance and R-Line 2.0 TSI DSG: reduction from 280PS to 272PS

Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
I have a feeling this will hurt performance of MY19 7.5 vs MY18 more than the quoted 10ps suggests. Seen a couple of 7.5 R's pushing between 320-330bhp on different dynos which on its own does not say much, but on both occasions the 100-200km/h times of those cars more than backed up the dyno figures. They were a whole 1.5s - 2s faster than the average MK7 R which indicates a car closer to 330bph rather than 310 so it's no surprise if they were actually producing more emissions. Seems they are going to lose that edge now. Another reason to wait just a bit more for the MK8 R the way I see it.

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
Can someone please share on the Rforum........

I am banned from there still I think  :rolleyes:
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
I have a feeling this will hurt performance of MY19 7.5 vs MY18 more than the quoted 10ps suggests. Seen a couple of 7.5 R's pushing between 320-330bhp on different dynos which on its own does not say much, but on both occasions the 100-200km/h times of those cars more than backed up the dyno figures. They were a whole 1.5s - 2s faster than the average MK7 R which indicates a car closer to 330bph rather than 310 so it's no surprise if they were actually producing more emissions. Seems they are going to lose that edge now. Another reason to wait just a bit more for the MK8 R the way I see it.

Do the Mk7 R's not dyno at an equally "slightly above quoted" power though and it's the 7 speed DSG with better ratio's that make the big diference.

I know a lot of people have dynoed standard Mk7 GTIs and they've all been higher than stock power.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
Do the Mk7 R's not dyno at an equally "slightly above quoted" power though and it's the 7 speed DSG with better ratio's that make the big diference.

I know a lot of people have dynoed standard Mk7 GTIs and they've all been higher than stock power.

Probably every VAG car since the beginning of history has been dynoed  to xx bhp more than advertised. I'd like to believe truth is somewhere in the middle, there are maybe some extra ponnies but not as much as some dynos suggest, which is why said a dyno figure on its own does not say much to me nowadays from what I've seen (same cars losing or gaining 10-15bhp depending on when and where they were measured).

But 100-200 times measured with precision GPS gear in flat straight roads and with correction applied are a far more accurate indication of any car's power. In those measurements the 7.5s were consistently and significantly quicker than their MK7 brothers (a whole second of difference at 200km/h means several cars length in between the two cars). Only two gear changes in a 100-200 pull also so although the 7speed is a bit quicker it is not the main factor here, the 7.5 must have left the factory with quite a bit more than 310ps. Well it was up to now I imagine.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
(a whole second of difference at 200km/h means several cars length in between the two cars).

Surely that only matters if you're racing?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
(a whole second of difference at 200km/h means several cars length in between the two cars).

Surely that only matters if you're racing?

Probably... same as any power or acceleration figure only matters to racers usually  :huh:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
I wonder if its actually a down tune or if the "adaptions for the exhaust-gas-treatment" (probably the particulate filter) actually strangles it down to 300PS?

Could be either
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Clubsport S

• GTI forum regular
Will this apply to all VAG cars including the Audi S3?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Will this apply to all VAG cars including the Audi S3?

It certainly applies to the Seat Leon Cupra hatch. 2018 model year is 300ps. From 2019 model year, power output is reduced to 290ps and is DSG only. The Leon Cupra ST 4WD DSG (estate) is unaltered at 300ps for 2019 MY.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl