Author Topic: Great Autocar review of 7.5 GTI  (Read 8903 times)

Offline CocoPops

• I live here
Great Autocar review of 7.5 GTI
« on: 10 February 2018, 09:27 »
Quite a lengthy hot hatch article... but conclusion.... well... we all know it :)

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/best-hot-hatches-autocars-top-five-go-head-head
2018 GTI Performance Pack DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, Leather, 18" Seville Wheels, DCC Suspension, Tints, RVC
2018 Lotus Elise Sport220
Previous : 1983 Mk1 Golf 1.1 & 2008 Mk5 Golf GTI Ed30

Offline Pretzel

• GTI forum regular
Re: Great Autocar review of 7.5 GTI
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2018, 17:15 »
Andrew Frankel is a very readable journalist, some great road tests in Motor Sport magazine.

Good read, thanks for posting.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2018, 00:26 »
Good read, and good to see the humble GTI still punches above its weight 7 and a half generations in  :smiley:  And boy does it have some weight now! :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2018, 00:40 »
Andrew Frankel is a very readable journalist, some great road tests in Motor Sport magazine.

Good read, thanks for posting.

Just read his 'in defence of diesel' and i would agree,he knows his stuff.Says exactly what we are all thinking.
Current: Golf GTD MK7  3 door manual carbon grey.

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 11 February 2018, 00:50 »
Good read, and good to see the humble GTI still punches above its weight 7 and a half generations in  :smiley:  And boy does it have some weight now! :grin:

I remember way back in 1986.Taking a MK1 GTI (1800) for a spin from the dealers.HAWCO in Elgin.I was totally shocked and it was such a buzz.I can see where the nostalgia for the first of the breed comes from.But for me,things have moved on.Bigger,heavier but better.
I could understand if the latest hot hatches were crap like a Mk3 Golf GTI or the likes.But they are far from it.
Still miss my BRS 610 Y Lhasa green(83 plate).It's still out there i know from the MOT records.Memories are made of this.....
Current: Golf GTD MK7  3 door manual carbon grey.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #5 on: 13 February 2018, 21:35 »
In all fairness, the 205,  Mk1 Focus, Megane Trophy (or any other 10y.o.+ car) would never stand a chance in a comparison looking for the best all-rounder so it was basically between the GTI and the Type-R from the beginning. And even as a VW owner I find the outcome lacks solid reasoning/arguments. It's commonly accepted that the latest Type R, compared with the 7/7.5GTI is in a different class dynamically pushing the FWD limits even further, faster in a straight line, and it even comes with a bigger boot and just as comfortable for daily use thanks to its revised suspension. We'll probably agree that its looks are screaming too much and the interior might lack the class of the GTI but if that's really all that you can criticize it for I can't see how it could realistically be anything other than first in a top hot-hatch list.

As a matter of fact, I visited the site tonight with the intention of writing about the latest EVO hot-hatch review, a much more thorough and focused on the driving article that pitted the 7.5 PP against the 308 GTI and the i30N and saw it coming 3rd out of 3, with the message being the GTI is not at the top of its game as it used to be (in fact it's some distance below the top).

I wanted to actually ask whether people are happy with how VW has left its most iconic car with the least power and driving enjoyment than practically any of its current rivals, merely cashing out on its long heritage and pseudo premium feel. I would really like to see them upping their game for the MK8 because they've shown that they can, but I just don't see it happening...

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 13 February 2018, 21:43 »
I've got no complaints. You'd have to pay me to drive any Hyundai, the Honda looks horrific and I don't like 308s let alone the build quality.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2018, 23:21 »
I've got no complaints. You'd have to pay me to drive any Hyundai, the Honda looks horrific and I don't like 308s let alone the build quality.

But then your only argument is over looks (subjective) and perceived build quality, no mention of performance or driving feel and understandably so. And while I'd agree on the looks, two of the three cars you mention (Honda and Hyundai) actually fare better than VW in reliability surveys so what are we really left with?

My point is you've got a car that looks and feels nice to start with, nicer than the rest if you like, so give it the means (power and suspension) to also drive and perform better (the Clubsport experiments showed that both the equipment and know-how are available). But with the R getting the most of VW's attention and the need to create enough distance from it to not upset sales it's hard to happen. I'd love that the MK8 would be the default hot hatch choice not because it has softer plastics but because it gives you best in class feed-back and feel around corners. After all those were the reasons the GTI created its heritage, not because it could be the most "premium" choice a middle class buyer could stretch to.

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 14 February 2018, 09:26 »

But then your only argument is over looks (subjective) and perceived build quality, no mention of performance or driving feel and understandably so. And while I'd agree on the looks, two of the three cars you mention (Honda and Hyundai) actually fare better than VW in reliability surveys so what are we really left with?

My point is you've got a car that looks and feels nice to start with, nicer than the rest if you like, so give it the means (power and suspension) to also drive and perform better (the Clubsport experiments showed that both the equipment and know-how are available). But with the R getting the most of VW's attention and the need to create enough distance from it to not upset sales it's hard to happen. I'd love that the MK8 would be the default hot hatch choice not because it has softer plastics but because it gives you best in class feed-back and feel around corners. After all those were the reasons the GTI created its heritage, not because it could be the most "premium" choice a middle class buyer could stretch to.

But in fairness, the Golf GTi has always been a premium hatch and buyers bought it because you did the "9 to 5 drudgery" whilst sat in a premium cabin and it could still be a joy to drive at the weekends.
VW have never set out to produce the ultimate driving experience because those occasions to drive it like that are fairly infrequent and yet every time you get in and drive it you can appreciate the soft plastics, in-car entertainment and good ergonomics, etc., etc.

I doubt the Mk8 will change that formula when it comes out, so if you want a more precise drive I suspect you'll have to look elsewhere. C'est la vie!
SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 14 February 2018, 09:48 »

When it's my money being spent, it's my (subjective) opinion that counts! But I think you are missing the point about the Golf, it's not about being the best at this and that, it's about being a great allrounder and at that, it is the best (imho of course :wink:).
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.