Author Topic: New MK7.5 GTi Ordered!  (Read 14196 times)

Offline O2Doc

• Not said much yet
Re: New MK7.5 GTi Ordered!
« Reply #10 on: 14 January 2018, 16:50 »
Lots of posts on here about the merits (or lack of) of Bridgestone tyres.

They're not the best by any stretch, and i wouldn't put them on when it's time to change. But i certainly wouldn't bin a brand new set.

Certainly wasn’t planning on binning them...eBay is your friend :) Will read around and see what people say. I might get a set of winter alloys/tyres anyway in which case just keep them for the summer.

Offline O2Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 14 January 2018, 16:52 »
Don’t put any of those sealants on your windscreen unless you like squeaky juddering wipers. The bridgestones are dirt but I’m tight and there’s no way I’d bin a new set either. Just be careful in the wet - they’ll be ok in the summer.

Is the juddering VW/GTi related or is this something you have universally found? As I said I have G1 on three cars and there is no squeaking/juddering or anything. Barely need to use the wipers in the rain above 40 mph anyway.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 14 January 2018, 17:01 »
Don’t put any of those sealants on your windscreen unless you like squeaky juddering wipers. The bridgestones are dirt but I’m tight and there’s no way I’d bin a new set either. Just be careful in the wet - they’ll be ok in the summer.

Is the juddering VW/GTi related or is this something you have universally found? As I said I have G1 on three cars and there is no squeaking/juddering or anything. Barely need to use the wipers in the rain above 40 mph anyway.

The standard fit wiper blades are poor and judder, best replaced with Bosch Aerotwins which are far superior. I use G-techniq C2v3 on my glass including the windscreen with excellent results :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline O2Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 14 January 2018, 17:24 »

The standard fit wiper blades are poor and judder, best replaced with Bosch Aerotwins which are far superior. I use G-techniq C2v3 on my glass including the windscreen with excellent results :smiley:

That's useful to know. Sounds like people putting the G1 on without proper prep: Glass needs to be clayed, polished (preferably with a DA), cleaned with IPA before it is applied and obviously rubbish wipers...runs away to see if I can get a set of PIAA wipers for the GTi :smiley:

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 14 January 2018, 17:52 »
Lots of posts on here about the merits (or lack of) of Bridgestone tyres.

They're not the best by any stretch, and i wouldn't put them on when it's time to change. But i certainly wouldn't bin a brand new set.

Certainly wasn’t planning on binning them...eBay is your friend :) Will read around and see what people say. I might get a set of winter alloys/tyres anyway in which case just keep them for the summer.

Assuming yours arrives some time in the spring, i'd stick with the Bridgestone's for the time being and see how you go. They're really not that bad as a summer tyre in the warmer weather, it's in poor conditions when they're at their worst.

You could always think of swapping to winters later in the year. This would be a better move to me, as even if you swap immediately to PS4's you won't have as much grip as a proper winter tyre in the harsher winter conditions.
7.5 GTD

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 14 January 2018, 18:05 »

It's something I've universally found tbh. Personally I avoid using anything on the windscreen other than a basic glass cleaner.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline O2Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 14 January 2018, 21:45 »

It's something I've universally found tbh. Personally I avoid using anything on the windscreen other than a basic glass cleaner.

Have you tried using a DA polisher to polish the windscreen before putting product on?

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 15 January 2018, 10:31 »
Seeing as the car is for the OP's parents, who were thinking of a 1.5 TSi, I suspect the standard fit Bridgestone's probably won't be of too much concern!
SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 15 January 2018, 13:49 »
Seeing as the car is for the OP's parents, who were thinking of a 1.5 TSi, I suspect the standard fit Bridgestone's probably won't be of too much concern!

You never know, get that GTI badge in front of them might bring the inner hooligan out :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #19 on: 15 January 2018, 14:39 »
Speccing a 1.5 TSi with LED headlights just made no financial sense!). So I have ordered a MK7.5 GTi DSG in Isaac Blue with the following options:

Climate windscreen
Rear view camera

It might have made financial sense depending on what other equipment that the GTI has as base were things that they wanted...

I fully agree that choosing a R line and adding LED lights doesn't make much sense, but if you had chosen a SE 1.5TSI DSG plus LED's, met paint, rear camera, climate screen its £25535 (RRP) vs £31670 for the GTI DSG plus met paint, rear camera and climate screen.... thats 6 grand different!

The residuals won't be significantly different either plus the fuel bill, insurance and road tax will be a lot less too...

I'm not saying I'd be happy with the SE, just commenting on your logic ;-)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC