Author Topic: What do you find annoying about your Mark 7?  (Read 17590 times)

Offline kelvyn29

• Not said much yet
Re: What do you find annoying about your Mark 7?
« Reply #80 on: 12 December 2017, 15:30 »
Not being able to turn TCS off fully on the GTI  :sad:

Trying to pull out of junction gentley this morning & even with it off kept cutting the power :(

If you haven't already, press and hold the button to completely disable it?

Yep done & held for about 5 seconds that goes in the sport mode :(

I guessed you might have already known that, Just on the slimmest of slim chances you didn't ;-)

Is there not a VCDS/OBDeleven change that could be made? I'm sure there is something out there.

:grin: :wink: No probs

I have had a search but no one seems to have anything :undecided:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #81 on: 12 December 2017, 15:43 »
But pressing the TC button turns off ARS, which is wheel spin control, which is what you need on mud/snow/ice...

By doing the long press it reduces the ESP/ESC (aka "sport mode") which is not about forward motion and reducing throttle control, but about braking individual wheels to maintain stability and keep the car in a controlled trajectory...

You only need it fully disabled for maximum track performance, not road driving...

And yes, you can disable it completely using VCDS (probably obd11 pro too...)...

Googling "golf gti disable traction control" produces a million hits that show you how to do it.
« Last Edit: 12 December 2017, 15:46 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline kelvyn29

• Not said much yet
« Reply #82 on: 12 December 2017, 16:46 »
But pressing the TC button turns off ARS, which is wheel spin control, which is what you need on mud/snow/ice...

By doing the long press it reduces the ESP/ESC (aka "sport mode") which is not about forward motion and reducing throttle control, but about braking individual wheels to maintain stability and keep the car in a controlled trajectory...

You only need it fully disabled for maximum track performance, not road driving...

And yes, you can disable it completely using VCDS (probably obd11 pro too...)...

Googling "golf gti disable traction control" produces a million hits that show you how to do it.

Sorry but I have to disagree, I feel more in control of the car in these conditions when the TCS/Stability is in sport mode.

Thanks for the working to find the correct links  :wink:
« Last Edit: 12 December 2017, 16:51 by kelvyn29 »

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #83 on: 12 December 2017, 18:46 »

Sorry but I have to disagree, I feel more in control of the car in these conditions when the TCS/Stability is in sport mode.

You're obviously a driving god who can retain full control over a car on black ice, but I wonder what would happen if your other-worldly skills deserted you and you had to make an insurance claim.  Or, worse still, stand in the dock accused of causing death by dangerous driving, and it was discovered that you had disabled some of the car's primary safety systems?

Insurance assessors can interrogate EMS systems, as can the Police.

Just asking...

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #84 on: 12 December 2017, 20:53 »

You're obviously a driving god who can retain full control over a car on black ice, but I wonder what would happen if your other-worldly skills deserted you and you had to make an insurance claim.  Or, worse still, stand in the dock accused of causing death by dangerous driving, and it was discovered that you had disabled some of the car's primary safety systems?

Insurance assessors can interrogate EMS systems, as can the Police.

Just asking...

I think the Dr will love it when selfdriving cars become a thing.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline kelvyn29

• Not said much yet
« Reply #85 on: 13 December 2017, 12:28 »
Not a driving god, but have done many skid pan, advance driving coures etc...

Im not looking to set world records but my original gripe was pulling away and rhe tcs kicking in when i could feather the throttle my self to regulate wheel spin.
I dont intend on driving flat out out snow/wet etc.

Cars are to safe nowadays, i think knowing the car has all the gadet and gizmos to get you out of trouble makes people drive worse as they know the car will help them.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #86 on: 13 December 2017, 12:55 »
The problem lies in the fact that too many "drivers" feel that either the car and its safety-related marketing systems will render them immune to harm, or they have the throttle control and reflexes of a leading Formula 1 driver.

Right up until the moment of impact.

Signed a former Caterham 7 owner and Formula Vee tester/driver/engineer.  Who believes that self-driving cars, along with public transport, are a great idea for the proletariat.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #87 on: 13 December 2017, 13:09 »
Kelvyn, unless it was cutting the throttle because of genuine road surface traction problems (in which case, disabling ARS is the way to do it)....more likely you've just run into the infamous Golf wheel hopping (which will illuminate the TC light, but has nothing to do with TC).

No electronic solution to that one, just don't try and put 250bhp through the front wheels in one go - easy done.

As for driverless cars, bring it on for me.

Most people have a car as transport and a high degree don't have the skills to use it safely. Driverless will be a massive improvement for everyone- driverless owners and everyone else!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict

Offline gillan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #89 on: 14 December 2017, 19:27 »
the start /stopping of the engine when you stop at a junction or traffic light does my nut in.

There should be a switch to over-ride the Stop/Start system.  You just need to remember to press it every time you start the car. 

Look for the switch with an "A" and a circular arrow.

Cheers dr M. Only had the car a short time. Been laid up so couldn’t answer sooner.thanks again.