Author Topic: Windscreen washer non-return valve.  (Read 3423 times)

Offline eatontrifles

• GTI forum regular
Windscreen washer non-return valve.
« on: 27 November 2017, 17:01 »
Do I have a faulty non-return washer valve or isn't there one fitted? It takes a few seconds for the screenwash to start spraying on the windscreen and sometimes the wipers have already started moving by the time it gets going. Makes it even more annoying at this time of year when I just want a quick squirt on the windscreen and a single wipe to clear the road grime.

Is it just me? Has anyone fitted a non return valve in their screenwash pipework?
Mk7.5 5dr GTI DSG. Isaac Blue, Keyless, Dynaudio, DLA & Lane Assist, DCC, Art Velours.

Offline wakey1512

• Just got here
Re: Windscreen washer non-return valve.
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2017, 20:20 »
Can't talk for the golf as I haven't had a look but most vehicles have a valve of some description fitted inline with the washer pipework to maintain water in the lines up to the jets. It sounds like yours is leaking back so I would agree that if fitted the check valve is defective. Usually have dirt wedged under the ball. Other possibilities is a blocked jet, a leaky line or at a worst case the washer pump itself.
« Last Edit: 01 December 2017, 20:32 by wakey1512 »

Offline eatontrifles

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2017, 18:13 »
I would expect some sort of non-return valve to be fitted - would be interested to hear of experiences of other members with the same car if their washers start spraying as soon as the stalk is flicked.
Mk7.5 5dr GTI DSG. Isaac Blue, Keyless, Dynaudio, DLA & Lane Assist, DCC, Art Velours.

Offline JohnH

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2017, 18:28 »
I would expect some sort of non-return valve to be fitted - would be interested to hear of experiences of other members with the same car if their washers start spraying as soon as the stalk is flicked.

yes, I start spraying as soon as I flick my stalk
(stop sniggering at the back  :whistle:)

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2017, 13:06 »
I prefer no return valve in this weather as the nozzles tend not to freeze when you need them most. So a delay before squirting is not a bad thing.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 04 December 2017, 07:54 »
You have heated nozzles - they come as part of the standard 'Winter pack" that all performance Golf have.

Offline maxie

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 04 December 2017, 11:31 »
i've tried mine and they have a delay too, but could that not be because the lights get sprayed 1st?

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 04 December 2017, 16:30 »
You can either have a short delay before spraying which means that the wipers smear crap and abrasive substances all over the screen before the spray gets to it, or have the possibility of the nozzles freezing and not spraying at all.

In theory, if there is no water in the nozzles or the last few inches of piping leading to the nozzles then all of the washer fluid is kept warm within the engine bay.

Having the headlight washers spray copious amounts of washer fluid all over the bonnet and windscreen a fraction of a second before the wipers are activated means that at least a small quantity of water hits the screen before the washer jets activate, but this only happens when the headlights are on.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 04 December 2017, 16:52 »
Surely everyone dilutes their washer fluid appropriately which should remove any risk of freezing?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 05 December 2017, 09:23 »
Yes exactly - and (as I said earlier) the washer nozzles are heated).....