Author Topic: Racing line turbo elbow  (Read 11057 times)

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
Racing line turbo elbow
« on: 25 October 2017, 20:50 »
Just fitted a racing line turbo elbow today in co junction with a k and n panel filter. There is definitely an improvement; throttle is sharper and acceleration seems stronger. Recommended upgrade which is very easy to do.
2016 GTI - Tornado Red, M52 remap, DTUK Pedal box, dv+, racingline turbo elbow, forge turbo muffler delete, racingline springs, racingline stage 2 BBK, novus 0.1 wheels, injen induction kit ,st rear anti roll bar, TT short shift, 034 motorsports dogbone upper / lower inserts, sachs organic clutch, custom stainless steel exhaust, res delete, leyo bezels, oettinger rear spoiler, maxton splitter, golf r rear lights

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Racing line turbo elbow
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2017, 21:44 »
Been eyeing these up but not convinced of the improvement on an otherwise standard car. Have you declared it to your insurer and if so did it cost much extra? Are you going to upgrade the inlet pipe?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 26 October 2017, 09:03 »
I have mine in conjuction with a dtuk tuning box and pedal box. I have delcared it and it cost something like £10 to add to my existing policy, so probably about £20 a year or so. During regular driving there is no real difference, but there is when you start pushing on a bit.
2016 GTI - Tornado Red, M52 remap, DTUK Pedal box, dv+, racingline turbo elbow, forge turbo muffler delete, racingline springs, racingline stage 2 BBK, novus 0.1 wheels, injen induction kit ,st rear anti roll bar, TT short shift, 034 motorsports dogbone upper / lower inserts, sachs organic clutch, custom stainless steel exhaust, res delete, leyo bezels, oettinger rear spoiler, maxton splitter, golf r rear lights

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 26 October 2017, 09:07 »
I thought this mod was normally what you did after upgrading the inlet and before you fitted a cat back exhaust?

On its own it won't do much?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2017, 09:30 »
I have mine in conjuction with a dtuk tuning box and pedal box. I have delcared it and it cost something like £10 to add to my existing policy, so probably about £20 a year or so. During regular driving there is no real difference, but there is when you start pushing on a bit.

Thanks for that, I'll keep it in mind :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline 7MAT

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 26 October 2017, 12:10 »
Interesting, I've been looking at this one form Forge Motorsports;
https://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/MQB_Chassis_VWAudiSeat_Mk7_GtiR_Leon_Cupra_280290_S3_8V_High_Flow_Inlet_Hose--product--1580.html

Same sort of product but manufactured in one piece with the hose, apparently these types of bolt on mods are good for 10% increase.

Did you remove the snow guard when you dropped in the K&N filter?
MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, 3 door, Issac Blue, DCC, Manual. Racingline Stage 1 OEM+, Remus Exhaust system, Sache Performance Clutch.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 26 October 2017, 12:40 »
I removed the plastic insert (I don't think it's actually a snow guard) when I replaced my air filter with just an oem one and noted a distinct improvement. Why? I'm not sure, the filter was mucky after 2 years and 18k miles but enough to make such a marked difference? But still worth removing the insert while in there as it must be restrictive and yet another free mod :smiley: and a bit of weight saving to boot :wink: Unfortunately mine literally ended up in the boot so no saving there... :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2017, 16:12 »
https://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/MQB_Chassis_VWAudiSeat_Mk7_GtiR_Leon_Cupra_280290_S3_8V_High_Flow_Inlet_Hose--product--1580.html

Same sort of product but manufactured in one piece with the hose, apparently these types of bolt on mods are good for 10% increase.

I did indeed removed the guard at the bottom of the air box. I have read that its the elbow which is the main restriction in the intake system, and that you get better results with a new elbow and panel filter than with an r600 intake kit for example. I've seen a few dyno comparisons as well, and you seem to get about 10 hp or there abouts.

Offline 7MAT

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 28 October 2017, 12:31 »

I did indeed removed the guard at the bottom of the air box. I have read that its the elbow which is the main restriction in the intake system, and that you get better results with a new elbow and panel filter than with an r600 intake kit for example. I've seen a few dyno comparisons as well, and you seem to get about 10 hp or there abouts.

As most of these parts are manufactured in China, I though I would take look on DHgate and Alibaba. Found loads of unbranded / generic tuning parts but min order for most is 10 units. For example you can purchase an unbranded turbo elbow for as little as $25 - $45 dollars a unit depending on volume.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Jagrow-performance-Golf-7-R-MK7_60703426175.html?spm=a2700.7724857.main07.12.2e44ad9d0c4OHp

Had a look on eBay also and found the follow;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-MK7-GTI-Seat-Cupra-Audi-S3-8V-2015-Free-Flow-Turbo-Inlet-Pipe-MQB-EA888/253114526129?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TURBO-EXHAUST-MUFFLER-DELETE-PIPE-VALVE-FOR-VW-AUDI-S1-1-8T-2-0T-GTI/371999246190?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Also found a guy selling genuine Clubsport S rear sway bars;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-VW-Golf-Mk7-2013-Clubsport-S-Anti-Roll-Bar-5Q0511305BA/162611614597?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I think all three will be going on my wish list for the new year. 😁
« Last Edit: 28 October 2017, 12:34 by 7MAT »
MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, 3 door, Issac Blue, DCC, Manual. Racingline Stage 1 OEM+, Remus Exhaust system, Sache Performance Clutch.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 30 October 2017, 16:30 »
So what's the difference between the racing line, forge or the eBay linked one??
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.