Author Topic: Brake fluid change  (Read 5111 times)

Offline Snooze

• I live here
Brake fluid change
« on: 19 October 2017, 09:41 »
I’ve always changed brake fluid every 2 yrs on my previous gti’s, but the service department doesn’t seem to think that’s the case with my Mk7. Anyone able to clarify please?
2015 Mk7 Golf Gti 3dr Manual, Carbon Steel Grey, Michelin PS4's

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
Re: Brake fluid change
« Reply #1 on: 19 October 2017, 09:50 »
A very good friend and ex main dealer (multiple brands) mechanic for 20 years, always says it should be changed every 2 years no matter what, as it is down to atmospherics and the fact brake fluid works hard in the car and that theres a high probability it can take on moisture and thus deteriorating it's effectiveness.
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 19 October 2017, 10:02 »
Nothing but a money maker for dealers the 2 year rubbish. The fluid will be ok for 5 or more years if you do not track the car and boil the hell out of it. You can tell when it needs changing as the brake feeling starts going spongy. It will not make the brakes fail suddenly like some usually say. Mine wont be changed until it is needed, I have had cars in the past that have never had a brake fluid change.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 19 October 2017, 10:31 »
My schedule says first change at 3 years, then every 2 years. Whilst I tend to agree with Finglonga that it will last longer, I have always changed every two years and will continue to do so. Another factor in my mind is that deteriorating fluid may cause additional wear and tear to seals, it may not but for the relatively minor cost and peace of mind, I'll stick to my usual plan :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 19 October 2017, 10:38 »
I’ve always changed brake fluid every 2 yrs on my previous gti’s, but the service department doesn’t seem to think that’s the case with my Mk7. Anyone able to clarify please?

The first brake fluid change is now due at 3 years and then every two years after that; see last paragraph at the link below;

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/what-we-check-and-why/brake-fluid-change
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 19 October 2017, 14:22 »
What amazes me, and please don't take this personally, is that people will spend a lot of money on the actual car, and then not take the manufacturers advice on maintaining it.  For £60 (or whatever it is) every 2 years, it is worth it for a bit of piece of mind and the fact a full and complete service history will demonstrate the car has been looked after when selling on.

I found this explanation on another forum:

With time the brake fluid takes on water - you can see this happen by watching the fluid become darker with time (color change is by design and due to water uptake) - as the fluid takes on water, two things happen - first, the boiling point of the brake fluid decreases (the fluid boils at a lower temperature, which will show up as fade under conditions of repeated, hard braking like you might go through at a track) - the second thing which changes is the corrosiveness of the fluid - as it takes on water, it becomes increasingly aggressive towards the caliper and piston - this results in corrosion the end result of which is the caliper seal is no longer able to seal the bore (fluid gets around it), getting fluid all over the place (this is a gradual thing) - this is why if you live in a humid region and have been neglecting the brake fluid, you need to hone out the cylinder bore (so that it is uniform and smooth) or replace the pistons, or both.

Nothing but a money maker for dealers the 2 year rubbish. The fluid will be ok for 5 or more years if you do not track the car and boil the hell out of it. You can tell when it needs changing as the brake feeling starts going spongy. It will not make the brakes fail suddenly like some usually say. Mine wont be changed until it is needed, I have had cars in the past that have never had a brake fluid change.

Offline vidman2

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 19 October 2017, 15:11 »
Some people will do anything to save a few pennies, especially if they do not intend to keep the car for long.
2015 R DSG. Limestone Grey, DCC, Winter Pack, Tech Pack, Reversing Camera    plus   2013 Mk7 GTi DSG - Performance, Navigation, Winter Pack, DCC, Park Assist,

Offline a9wyn

• GTI forum regular

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 19 October 2017, 21:59 »
I like knowing that my brakes work more than I like £60.
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 19 October 2017, 22:53 »
+1 wantmygti