Author Topic: GTI vs R running/maintenance costs  (Read 6950 times)

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
Re: GTI vs R running/maintenance costs
« Reply #10 on: 17 August 2017, 21:23 »
I've found the R to be easier on tyres - strangely enough. I still have the originals on mine. 26k kms (16k miles). There's still a bit of life left in the fronts and loads on the rears. I had the fronts on the GTI replaced a lot sooner than this. I expect it is due to the more even weight and power distribution in the R. I rarely, if ever, lose any traction whereas the GTI suffered from a lot of wheelspin.

Other than that, fuel is the biggest differentiator. I only average 27-29mpg in the R. The GTI was probably 33-35 average.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 18 August 2017, 12:45 »
I used to be quite bothered by fuel consumption and running costs, but have just changed my B7 Passat for an Amarok. The Passat would do 55mpg, whereas the Amarok is doing 35ish. Loaded up and towing the caravan it does 21mpg. The thing is, yes it's more money, but it's my only real vice. I love driving the truck. The same week as buying it, we swapped my wifes Mk6 Golf for a Mk7 1.6TDI with a view to using that as the 'family car', but it hasn't worked out like that and the truck takes us everywhere.

I would get the car that you want, and if running a new .:R might stretch the finances, buy a used one. The lower depreciation will pay for a hell of a lot of fuel.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 18 August 2017, 21:37 »
R is not much more thirstier than my Ed35 was

VW servicing pack is good value anyway

Only thing I have found the R eat is rear pads and disks (wife's lasted 20K) mine are in better shape

We run winters and summers on our but having checked the tyres the rears are 1mm less than the fronts on the Estate and 5 Door and similar depths on the Bridgestones so down to about 4mm on the fronts after about 14K

Interesting feature in this weeks Autocar about the ideal drivers car which has the 7/7.5 GTI in it and talks about balance, which I totally get

I had a look at three 7.5Rs outside a dealership and I think the standard trim looks so much better with the alcantara and liked the detailing on the front

Very much of the same view of life too short so I do not read too much in the fuel costs, where the R is sublime is covering ground very quickly and effictively without taxing the driver too much and being under the radar