Author Topic: RNS510 knicked last night..... to claim or not to claim?!?  (Read 4046 times)

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
All as per title...

sh!t I know, turns out my obsession with parking at the back of the car park AWAY from all the other cars has backfired and in this instance it stuck out like a sour thumb and 3 x hooded youths went for it. I dint even know people still knicked these. Genuinely surprised but after a bit of googling turns out VW brand are being targeted and these specifically!

I just don't know what to do now, do I make a claim costing me £350 excess or just take the hit myself and get another fitted?

It's a MK6 Golf GTI btw :-)
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Id take the opertunity to upgrade to something else.
Unless a window or something has bern broke then i suppose you might aswell take the excess.
Have you got protected ncb

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
Yeah got NCD and gone through insurance, was £250 and I had to pay £70 for window repair anyway and that is now included.

Not sure what to get though, another RNS now I've heard there getting pinched a lot is putting me off.

I could pop security screws in, if I had done this they wouldn't off got it for the security guard saw the alarm go off but they were that quick.

Was thinking security screws with superglue in the holes ha ha not getting them out in a hurry!
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Security swrews would work. Something like spline screws as there uncommon in terms of what a thief would carry around

Offline mwad gti

• Here all the time
Problem being, if you make it overly difficult/impossible to remove the stereo to the thieving scum, there is the possibility that they would cause vindictive damage
Candy White 3 dr Manual 2012 GTi. Bought new.
DAB, Dynaudio, Kenwood Head Unit Upgrade, Private Plate,
Full Leather and Heated Seats
18" Shadow Monzas, luxury pack.
Colour coded side skirts and gloss black diffuser.

Offline Pinky1959

• GTI forum regular
Contact the police you never know the scum may have left prints .

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
Yeah spoke to police mate, were not interested in the slightest....

They got the security guy to explain what he could see on CCTV, basically nothing. They then phone back and said they would be in touch if any new evidence came to light..

Just encourages them, can hit a car in the middle of a busy shopping centre and know nothing will come of it!

What also annoys me is VW don't even know the serial number they should have some way of registering it knicked then if someone was stupid enough to take it to a dealer for routine it could be confiscated. But the serial is on the unit and not logged anywhere else. Can't make it up!

Offline iain cooper

• Not said much yet
Security swrews would work. Something like spline screws as there uncommon in terms of what a thief would carry around

then they would damage your dash trying to haul it out, best leave it standard.

Iain

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
Re: RNS510 knicked last night..... to claim or not to claim?!?
« Reply #8 on: 07 August 2017, 12:37 »
I have bought the screws but yet to install them. I agree that it may be more damage but again it does come down to where the car is. In my instance with them in they wouldn't of got it for they had about 1 minute tops with security running towards the car so IF they were installed then the RNS would still be there.

I also acknowledge however if they have ages to get it then yes the will and cause a load of damage in the process so pros and cons I suppose & stop parking my car miles from everyone else :-)