Author Topic: When is it the right time to get rid?  (Read 578 times)

Offline arj7

• Not said much yet
When is it the right time to get rid?
« on: 08 August 2017, 11:17 »
Hi all,

I have a 2012 Mk 6 GTD, Ive had it since then and its been a brilliant car.

When I first had it my commute used to be 85miles a day, then became 50 miles a day. I now work closer to home and do 10 miles a day.  The mileage on the car is around 90k

I kind of feel like I dont need the car any more in terms of the mileage, I dont get to open the engine up.
The car has been fine and has had no faults at all, but keen to get rid prior to any issues.

I think I would go for a petrol but something that is still nippy!

How long have you kept hold of your cars?
Carbon Grey, 2012 GTD!!!!!!

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: When is it the right time to get rid?
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2017, 12:34 »
I had a mk6 GTD; bought new in 2011 and sold it last year. Really liked the GTD and it was problem free throughout my (almost) 5 years of ownership but like you, I wasn't doing the mileage to warrant having a diesel.

Traded it in against a new Polo GTI; nippy and pretty good economy too for a 1.8 189 bhp petrol. Doesn't feel like a small car and externally it looks quite like a shrunken mk7 Golf. Interior is quite similar to the mk6 GTD. Only potential negative is the small boot, but not really a problem for me.
2016 Pocket Rocket Polo GTI 5dr manual, Blue Silk, Jacara tartan seats, Sports Performance Kit, Climate Control, Convenience Pack, Parking Pack, VW Motorsport Alloys in anthracite.
Gone but not forgotten; 2011 Golf GTD; 5dr Carbon Grey, Grey Jacara tartan seats, 18" VW Rotary alloys in Anthracite, Bi-xenons, Parking Sensors, RCD510+Dynaudio, Luxury Pack, Flexible load liner, Service Plan and, for all you Mudflap-haters out there, front and rear Mudflaps! :-)

Offline arj7

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2017, 13:59 »
It really has been a brilliant car, I have a baby now but the other car is big so space isnt necessary for me.

I'd like a hot hatch, but thinking whether to just keep the GTD as there isnt anything wrong with it and I dont need a car  :evil:
Carbon Grey, 2012 GTD!!!!!!

Offline dervdave

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2017, 11:35 »
Ooo you wouldn`t be selling for a bargain price would you  ? :wink:

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #4 on: 28 September 2017, 21:16 »
Take it for a long spin every now and again to prevent DPF issues and just keep it.
90k isn't anything for a 5 year old car. My last Golf went back to lease company with 123k after 3 years, do sometimes miss it.
Finally here: 09/2016 Golf VII GTD DSG 24k miles

Gone: 11/2013 Golf VII Variant GT 2.0 TDI pacific blue - 123k miles

DASH SWAPS and KEYS LEARNING for most VWs up to MY2005 even if you don't have the PIN - FAULT CODES - ADAPTATIONS -  Windows via remote fob for Golf 4 and other 2000s VAGs -OXON and the whole country