Author Topic: Tardis  (Read 2110 times)

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
Tardis
« on: 25 June 2017, 10:01 »
Hi All

After reading up on here about removing tar spots I bought some tardis. The wheels on my wife's car have some proper baked on tar and thought this stuff sounded just the trick, but I was left disappointed. In fact it barely touched the stuff.

What's the best way to use this stuff? Dry or wet wheels, how long to soak in etc??

Thanks
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Tardis
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2017, 10:09 »
Hi All

After reading up on here about removing tar spots I bought some tardis. The wheels on my wife's car have some proper baked on tar and thought this stuff sounded just the trick, but I was left disappointed. In fact it barely touched the stuff.

What's the best way to use this stuff? Dry or wet wheels, how long to soak in etc??

Thanks

Tardis should be used on a dry car, otherwise it might get diluted and its effectiveness compromised slightly.  Dry the wheels, spray Tardis on (don't let it dry), leave it to dwell for 5 mins, then gently agitate/wipe over with a soft microfibre, then thoroughly rinse off with a pressure washer or hose.  If you ever decide to do the rest of the car (or lower parts) as well as the wheels, do a section at a time, rather than spraying the whole car at once which risks it drying in especially in the sun, and it is difficult to remove if dried on.  Do a section - dwell - wipe - rinse, next section and so on. If there's a lot of tar on the wheels then you might need a couple of applications, to shift it.

Are you sure it's all tar and not brake dust/iron fallout?  In which case you need iron remover such as Iron X, used in pretty much the same process as described above - dry wheels - spray - dwell - wipe - rinse (don't let it dry on).  Both these decontamination stages - iron removal and tar removal, should shift a lot of embedded contaminant, and if there is still some present after these stages then you need to clay the wheels to remove the remaining embedded contaminants.
« Last Edit: 25 June 2017, 10:17 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
Re: Tardis
« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2017, 13:25 »
Nice one thanks. I put it in wet wheels and wasn't sure how long to leave it.

Pretty sure it's tar, iron x doesn't have much impact on it.
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership