Author Topic: Piano black trim  (Read 3063 times)

Offline phope

• I live here
Piano black trim
« on: 21 May 2017, 14:16 »
Not for my GTD, but our replacement for our A6 arrives in September...another Audi

Against my better judgement, it comes with piano black interior trim plastics, I imagine much the same as the trim on the Golf R Mk7 - I've heard it will show every little minor scratch quite easily

Any recommendations for protecting the surface around the gearstick area which will pick up the bulk of the day to day wear - just wondered if I could use something like a ceramic coating to give it a bit more protection?
Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Piano black trim
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2017, 15:13 »
Not for my GTD, but our replacement for our A6 arrives in September...another Audi

Against my better judgement, it comes with piano black interior trim plastics, I imagine much the same as the trim on the Golf R Mk7 - I've heard it will show every little minor scratch quite easily

Any recommendations for protecting the surface around the gearstick area which will pick up the bulk of the day to day wear - just wondered if I could use something like a ceramic coating to give it a bit more protection?

I know of people who have applied Gtechniq nano sealant to the piano trim, don't know how it fared though in the longer term though. Only one way to find out I suppose.  I alternate between using Poorboys Natural Look Dressing and Swissvax Quick Interior Finish on mine at moment.  Both work very well on piano trim, applied on an MF, then buffed over with a plush MF.  Poorboys is much cheaper and has notably good anti-static properties, the effects of which last well compared to some other dressings, such as the SV, Auto Finesse and Chemical Guys dressings I've used before.   How about trying some C2v3?
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2017, 15:55 »
Will give it a go, I think - plenty of time to read up before September  :grin:

Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2017, 16:54 »
How about a clear wrap on just the most vulnerable areas?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2017, 17:27 »
I have never had a problem with the piano black gloss on my R. I just give it a gentle wipe with a plush Microfibre cloth now and then. Personally I have found it to be pretty resilient to scratching and marking and I have never applied anything to it either 👍
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2017, 17:53 »
I thought the gloss black on the R would be a scratch magnet but TBH, it's fine. I use a OXO Good Grips Microfibre Delicate Duster which is great because it traps the dust and you can dust everything very lightly.