Author Topic: Service pre-clean?  (Read 4226 times)

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
Service pre-clean?
« on: 22 August 2016, 09:25 »
Just to hear your thoughts... to clean or not to clean before it goes for it's service next week...

Do I clean it before hand so they are less likely to ignore my instructions to not clean the car, or do I leave it dirty so I know they haven't touched it?! My current thoughts are towards the latter. The inside needs a really good clean, which I might do before then, but am thinking I'll leave the outside as it's not that bad at the moment, and then will hopefully (weather dependant) be able to give it a full wash the day after as I'm off that day as well.

Of course the wo-wo 'don't clean my car' hangar will be hung on the mirror when I take it in  :laugh:
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Service pre-clean?
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2016, 09:41 »
I always clean my car before it goes into the dealer for servicing / other work, as I think its easier to see any dealer-inflicted damage on a clean car than it would be on a dirty one.

I accompany the service advisor when they inspect the car for any damage when I take it in, and get them to agree it's damage-free, hang my 'do not wash' sign in the car, instruct them not to wash it, get them to write this on the worksheet and tie a 'do not wash' tag on the keys.

When I go back to collect it, I inspect it unaccompanied before going into service reception, so if there was any damage that wasn't there when I took the car in, I could highlight it to them (thankfully, hasn't been any to date).
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2016, 10:12 »
I always clean my car before it goes into the dealer for servicing / other work, as I think its easier to see any dealer-inflicted damage on a clean car than it would be on a dirty one.

I accompany the service advisor when they inspect the car for any damage when I take it in, and get them to agree it's damage-free, hang my 'do not wash' sign in the car, instruct them not to wash it, get them to write this on the worksheet and tie a 'do not wash' tag on the keys.

When I go back to collect it, I inspect it unaccompanied before going into service reception, so if there was any damage that wasn't there when I took the car in, I could highlight it to them (thankfully, hasn't been any to date).

Thanks for the tips.. sounds good to me... in that case hopefully I can give it a full clean this weekend, followed by a quick snow foam and rinse the night before it's serviced! :smiley:

Fortunately at the moment the weather report says it's not supposed to rain on Saturday so sounds promising. Saturday morning is my best chance when the Mrs is at work!  :laugh:

Offline Pinky1959

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2016, 12:07 »
If I have time I wash my car before it goes in or service , if not I just ask them not to wash hoover it as I am going away tomorrow and it would be a waste of time , My car is in getting serviced just now and I did ask them not to wash /hoover it as I already had washed it and am going out tomorrow , however when they do wash it they do a good job .

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2016, 14:33 »
I always try to find time to clean it, so it looks like a cared for car and can easily spot any defects that weren't previously there.  Then stick a 'do not wash' hanger of sign in a very visible place so they don't wash it.  AAlso give them verbal instruction not to wash and make sure they write it on the worksheet.  I walk round the car on drop off and make it known I'm particular about my car, lol, then another careful inspection on collection.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 23 August 2016, 09:10 »
I agree with Booth - hanging a 'Do not wash' sign inside the car on the rear view mirror is not very prominent to one of the valeting staff approaching the car on foot. I always print out A4 size 'PLEASE DO NOT WASH' signs and stick one each side to the windows.

It is imperative the car is already clean when handed over for the inspection as this will prevent the dealer from using that as an excuse if there is any damage inflicted on it in their care.

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 24 August 2016, 13:32 »
Will follow all advice. If not said already, am planning a full wash and interior clean this Saturday morning... weather dependant, followed by a snow foam and rinse maintenance wash the night before.

Will use the hangar of course, but also verbally instruct them, make sure it's written on the worksheet and also I'll be on site waiting for them to complete the work. They only benefit by not washing it anyway as it's less time they need to spend on it!

Offline TwoSheds

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2016, 17:27 »

Will use the hangar of course, but also verbally instruct them, make sure it's written on the worksheet and also I'll be on site waiting for them to complete the work. They only benefit by not washing it anyway as it's less time they need to spend on it!

Mine was washed despite verbal instruction not to, job-sheet being noted in front of me and my A4 signage 'Please Do Not Wash' displayed.

Your best bet, if you are able to stay whilst its being serviced, is to station yourself overlooking the Valet crew so you can pounce if necessary .  :smiley:

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 30 August 2016, 09:22 »

Mine was washed despite verbal instruction not to, job-sheet being noted in front of me and my A4 signage 'Please Do Not Wash' displayed.

Your best bet, if you are able to stay whilst its being serviced, is to station yourself overlooking the Valet crew so you can pounce if necessary .  :smiley:

Yes I will be staying and waiting for it whilst it is done. It's looking pretty spotless (and very shiny :grin:)at the moment as I gave it a full exterior clean at the weekend and did the interior yesterday.

I will be vigilant for them trying to clean it, but not sure the seating area overlooks the workshop from what I remember the couple of times I have been in.  :smiley:

Fingers crossed they can follow instructions otherwise I will be making a complaint.