Author Topic: Volcanic dust!!!  (Read 2606 times)

Offline kraM

• Here all the time
  • It's not the speed, it's the sudden stops...
Volcanic dust!!!
« on: 17 July 2016, 19:02 »
Hello, long time since I've been here, the joys of a little family.
Anyway.  I've been given permission to get my Golf out of the garage.  Stupidly, when I put her away (in 2009!!!), I didn't think it would be 7 (!) years until she saw the light of day.  It all began with a simple KR upgrade...
In the last 7 years the volcano on ice land blew its top, twice.   Dopy bollox here didn't bother covering the car, and now it had a thick covering of twinkley, super abrasive dust on it.
What is the best way of getting it off without buggaring the paint work please?
(Jet wash didn't touch it)
Thank you.
kraM.
It's not the speed... it's the sudden stops...

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Volcanic dust!!!
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2016, 20:14 »
Hello, long time since I've been here, the joys of a little family.
Anyway.  I've been given permission to get my Golf out of the garage.  Stupidly, when I put her away (in 2009!!!), I didn't think it would be 7 (!) years until she saw the light of day.  It all began with a simple KR upgrade...
In the last 7 years the volcano on ice land blew its top, twice.   Dopy bollox here didn't bother covering the car, and now it had a thick covering of twinkley, super abrasive dust on it.
What is the best way of getting it off without buggaring the paint work please?
(Jet wash didn't touch it)
Thank you.
kraM.

Hi, welcome back.  :smiley:

Sounds like you might have to give it a good decontamination.  Claying will most likely remove the dust, but if it is as abrasive as you say, then I would do a full decontamination including going over it with Tar/glue remover and Iron/fallout remover first.  This will remove as much as possible with the least 'touching' of the paintwork, leaving as little abrasive stuff for the clay to remove so reducing the risk of marring the paint. It might bring it all off and maybe you won't need to clay it.  If you do clay it, it's really best to follow that with a polish. 

But before any of that, start by giving it a good wash, to see what's what.  In any case, if you do decontaminate it you need to ensure your car is washed first.

Hope this helps.  If you need any pointers on products, just shout.  :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline kraM

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2016, 07:48 »
Cheers.  I'll see how I get on...
Bit scared, I don't really want to have to shell out for a respray!

Offline kraM

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2016, 10:05 »
Covered the car in TFR, rinsed and it all came running off! A quick wash and wax and looking like a million      pence.
When she's back on the road, I'll go whole hog. 
Thanks again.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2016, 13:55 »
Covered the car in TFR, rinsed and it all came running off! A quick wash and wax and looking like a million      pence.
When she's back on the road, I'll go whole hog. 
Thanks again.

Goodf  old TFR, it's stron stuff!

Glad to hear it's all gone and looking it's best again.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11