Author Topic: New paint and polish  (Read 4688 times)

Offline Black oil

• Not said much yet
New paint and polish
« on: 16 May 2016, 19:17 »
Had a small coming together with another car.
Nothing major but all four panels (and wheels) on nearside have small dents,ripples,scratches and a score from a wing mirror tip.
My wing mirror needs spares to be rebuilt but panels are salvageable and will be 'blended and painted'.
Other party accepted liability as has their insurance company under instruction so into VW it has gone.

Question is this: given that the panels should come back 'as new' they might stick out a bit from the others that have normal paint ageing.
How soon until I can give all of it single pass, light correction polish? No major defects in the rest of the paint, just minor scratches and swirls.
Thanks in advance.

Mk7 Gti.5dr.Deep black pearl,PP,acc,nav pro,pano roof,leather,winter pack,dynaudio.Rather nice.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: New paint and polish
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2016, 20:47 »
Sorry, don't know the answer but thought I'd say what a shame, that's quite a lot of damage. You sound amazingly relaxed about it, I was gutted at a small ding! Hope they do an excellent job for you!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2016, 20:59 »
Sorry to hear about the damage.   :sad:

When I had some paint on my old mk6 I was advised to wait a month before doing anything on the new paint, other than gentle washing.  No wax, sealant etc as the paint is still curing and hardening and needs to 'breath' and adding protection on top affects that.  I wouldn't be polishing it until the paint has cured so about a month.

Hope you get it all sorted ok.  :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2016, 21:00 »
Due to the age of the car you shouldn't see any differences and if you do reject it.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2016, 08:13 »
I don't have much faith in VW bodyshops. I had the wings replaced under warranty on my previous Passat. The colour match was a mile out, which they said was down to paint aging. They said they're not paid to colour match, they just mix the paint according to the code on the cars build sticker. I rejected it and they had another go. This time they still painted it the same colour, they just blended it across the adjacent panels. It looked like a bad 1990's fade job.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2016, 08:52 »
Just to add; by law you can your car to any repair centre via an insurance claim. So if youre not happy with the one they suggest tell them where you want it doing. The only thing to consider is that there may not be a loan car provided or some nonsense like that.

Offline Black oil

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2016, 19:04 »
Sorry, don't know the answer but thought I'd say what a shame, that's quite a lot of damage. You sound amazingly relaxed about it, I was gutted at a small ding! Hope they do an excellent job for you!

Thanks for the thought.
Think it reads worse than it is.Yes there is a large area of damage but it is mostly cosmetic so hopefully all will be like new.
Was almost 2 weeks ago and the cars been diveable so just the hassle of phone calls, hire cars and dropping car off etc.
The lady wasn't hurt and neither was I so no biggie.
Mk7 Gti.5dr.Deep black pearl,PP,acc,nav pro,pano roof,leather,winter pack,dynaudio.Rather nice.

Offline Black oil

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2016, 19:11 »
Sorry to hear about the damage.   :sad:

When I had some paint on my old mk6 I was advised to wait a month before doing anything on the new paint, other than gentle washing.  No wax, sealant etc as the paint is still curing and hardening and needs to 'breath' and adding protection on top affects that.  I wouldn't be polishing it until the paint has cured so about a month.

Hope you get it all sorted ok.  :smiley:

Thanks for that.Sounds a reasonable time to let things settle down.
Will just have to get the mitts out only for a while.

Offline Black oil

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2016, 19:15 »
Due to the age of the car you shouldn't see any differences and if you do reject it.

Sorry didn't explain it very well.
I'm hoping that the repairs will be pristine and good as new.
Just a bit bothered that the rest of the cars clear coat will look worse in comparison until I get a chance to correct it and I won't be able to until the repaired parts are cured and I can work it all.
Cheers.

Offline Black oil

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2016, 19:17 »
I don't have much faith in VW bodyshops. I had the wings replaced under warranty on my previous Passat. The colour match was a mile out, which they said was down to paint aging. They said they're not paid to colour match, they just mix the paint according to the code on the cars build sticker. I rejected it and they had another go. This time they still painted it the same colour, they just blended it across the adjacent panels. It looked like a bad 1990's fade job.

Fingers crossed they sort it properly 1st time. :rolleyes: