Author Topic: Marathan weekend !!! - Knackered now  (Read 16309 times)

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: Marathan weekend !!! - Knackered now
« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2016, 07:07 »
Amazing work, I was exhausted just reading your post so I can only imagine how you felt when you'd finished!!
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2016, 07:13 »
Stunning work - both look fantastic!

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2016, 08:04 »
@ Sootchucker

Out of interest, why did you clay before the de-iron and de-tar stages?  Better to do it the other way round, as then the majority of the embedded contaminants will be first removed by the iron and tar removers, which are almost 'touchless' processes, leaving much less contaminant for the aggressive clay stage to remove. Thus less clay marring to be corrected by DA afterwards. Not a criticism, just an observation and wondered if there was a reason you did it the other way round.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 17 May 2016, 08:05 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2016, 08:07 »
Out of interest, why did you clay before the de-iron and de-tar stages?

I thought that too. I would have de-ironed and tarred before the hand wash stage.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 17 May 2016, 08:37 »
@ Sootchucker

Out of interest, why did you clay before the de-iron and de-tar stages?  Better to do it the other way round, as then the majority of the embedded contaminants will be first removed by the iron and tar removers, which are almost 'touchless' processes, leaving much less contaminant for the aggressive clay stage to remove. Thus less clay marring to be corrected by DA afterwards. Not a criticism, just an observation and wondered if there was a reason you did it the other way round.  :smiley:

Rebecca, I actually did it as you said (i.e. clay was the last task) - just wrote it up incorrectly. Was exhausted when I did the write up (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it !)
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 17 May 2016, 09:19 »
Out of interest, why did you clay before the de-iron and de-tar stages?

I thought that too. I would have de-ironed and tarred before the hand wash stage.

I do it after the snow foam and 2BW.  After just snow foaming and pressure wash rinse there can still be a fair bit of grime on the car which could get rubbed in when agitating the tar and iron remover.  Less risk of that if car is properly clean.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 17 May 2016, 09:21 »
@ Sootchucker

Rebecca, I actually did it as you said (i.e. clay was the last task) - just wrote it up incorrectly. Was exhausted when I did the write up (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it !)

Lol.

It's hard enough doing all that detailing (especially on 2 cars!) then having to write it up and sort photos too.  That bit takes nearly as long as the detail.  :grin:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline silver38

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 18 May 2016, 15:56 »
Cars look superb. The sound with the sport & sound pack is very addictive.
Are the mats in your GTD dealer supplied?
MKVII GTD Manual - Pure White, 5Door, Adaptive chassis control, Advance telephone connection, Climate comfort windscreen, Discover Nav pro, High beam assist, Keyless entry, Sport and Sound pack, Park assist system with steering assist, Rear view camera, Rear side airbags with rear seatbelt warning, Winter pack, 5 Year Warranty

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 18 May 2016, 16:06 »
Stunning work!
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 19 May 2016, 08:58 »
Are the mats in your GTD dealer supplied?

No mate. Got the ones that came with the car in the boot (still in their wrappers). These come from Carmats2u (as recommended by Booth11 - Rebecca). Superb quality and pretty much customizable to how you want them.

Thanks all for the complements.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras