Author Topic: Oi Gamers - Graphics card?  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
Oi Gamers - Graphics card?
« on: 19 November 2010, 17:23 »
Been out of the PC Gaming loop for some years now (just don't have time with kids, work & study).

I have the opportunity to buy an original nVidia Quadro FX380 256Mb or ATI Firepro V3750 pretty cheap, what are these cards like for gaming?
They've gotta be better than my GT6600 right? :grin:

But can I get better cards for the same price? Let's say if I bought a normal gaming card at the same price these are going for normally, would I be better off?
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline Devilz

• I live here
  • Cruisin is not a crime
Re: Oi Gamers - Graphics card?
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2010, 10:45 »
u still living in stone age  :lipsrsealed:

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2010, 17:23 »
Yes, yes of course, I'm living in the stone ages :rolleyes:

Been out of the PC Gaming loop for some years now (just don't have time with kids, work & study).
with an emphasis on kids.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline xAx

• GTI forum regular
  • lolwut
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2010, 19:43 »
Is there any particular reason you would need the Quadro or Fire GL?

The quadro you posted is based on the Geforce 5 series by the looks of it, which is 9 versions old and worse than the GT6600 you already have.

What were you looking to spend?

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2010, 22:44 »
the reason they are cheap is because they are workstation cards and quite a few generations old, great for photoshop and CAD but pretty much useless for games.

What's your budget and what are you looking to play?

Offline cняis

• I live here
  • Know there's something burning over there...
« Reply #5 on: 20 November 2010, 22:53 »

I have the opportunity to buy an original nVidia Quadro FX380 256Mb or ATI Firepro V3750 pretty cheap, what are these cards like for gaming?
They've gotta be better than my GT6600 right? :grin:

But can I get better cards for the same price? Let's say if I bought a normal gaming card at the same price these are going for normally, would I be better off?

f*** me, that card was around in the last ice age  :laugh:

says he with the 7600GT AGP and Pentium D  :grin:

I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline AlexMozza

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 20 November 2010, 23:15 »
Cheap = 8800GTS 320mb - Cant go wrong and its still perky...Plays most game today fine :)
Pick them up for like £50
2001 Satria GTi

Mini 25 Special Edition 1984 998 :D

Formula 3 Mechanic

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #7 on: 21 November 2010, 13:21 »
I was only asking about those cards because the spec's looked better than the 6600GT and the Quadro can handle a higher shader version than the 6600GT I have, and they're sitting on my desk at work freshly pulled out of new Dell Precisions and would probably do f@ck all but sit in the 'dungeons' spare parts bin at work. Oh and I've had to repair my 6600GT a few weeks back because it started failing - lucky I had a spare 6600GT to scavenge the fan off and had some thermal grease from when I changed my CPU fan :grin:

Cheap = 8800GTS 320mb - Cant go wrong and its still perky...Plays most game today fine :)
Pick them up for like £50

Thanks, I may invest in one as my current card is old and could fail so would be good as a backup.

f*** me, that card was around in the last ice age  :laugh:

says he with the 7600GT AGP and Pentium D  :grin:

PCI-E baby  :cool:  :tongue:

Offline justalex81

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2010, 09:36 »
an 8800 gts will not play todays games at good resolutions, but i also suspect that the rest of your pc is not up to it either. post your specs so we can (have a good laugh) advise you properly!