Author Topic: lacquer peeling on door  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Wurzel

• Here all the time
lacquer peeling on door
« on: 26 August 2009, 21:36 »
The lacquer has started peeling off the door of my 10 year old mk4, what the best way to sort it?
1999 mk4 1.8 n/a AGN Silver Grey
***Looking for one 16 inch wheel, Montreal 2*** and a rear parcel shelf (without speaker holes!)

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
Re: lacquer peeling on door
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2009, 21:57 »
re-spray   :sad:
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline Wurzel

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2009, 22:06 »
1999 mk4 1.8 n/a AGN Silver Grey
***Looking for one 16 inch wheel, Montreal 2*** and a rear parcel shelf (without speaker holes!)

Offline andy_airsoft

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2009, 13:39 »
Ive got the same problem with my 2001 Golf and from what I've done on my car before I rubbed it down with 2000 grit wet & dry and then used G3 cutting compound to get rid of the scratches.

Will be doing this to mine this weekend so I'll take some pics and post them up befores and afters.

It wont make it perfect but sod paying £££ on a respray when you can do a good enough job yourself and unless your making it a show car if it looks ok then who cares
2001 1.8T GTI, AUM, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, 18" Nouvolari alloys with 6mm spacers, Green Cotton panel filter, N249 Bypass, Drilled airbox, Forge 007p, Original R32 headlights (FOR SALE, PM ME WITH AN OFFER), full leather, New N75F, New MAF, New Coilpacks, Sprayed black interior (Woo Hoo not more wood), Indigo Blue

Offline Dan Gleebits

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2009, 22:46 »
Ive got the same problem with my 2001 Golf and from what I've done on my car before I rubbed it down with 2000 grit wet & dry and then used G3 cutting compound to get rid of the scratches.

Will be doing this to mine this weekend so I'll take some pics and post them up befores and afters.

It wont make it perfect but sod paying £££ on a respray when you can do a good enough job yourself and unless your making it a show car if it looks ok then who cares

if you are trying to sand/flat the lacquer back so it will ''blend'' in with the paint work, good luck! just watch you dont rub through the basecoat.
if your only removing scratches then thats the way to go :smiley:

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2009, 23:47 »
It is a lot easier to repaint / relacquer the problem area.