Author Topic: Quick and easy steps to a clean tail pipe?  (Read 2213 times)

m0nkeymafia

Quick and easy steps to a clean tail pipe?
« on: 17 August 2009, 13:31 »
Hello!

I am new to car care, all my other cars have been badly looked after but after purchasing a Golf GTI Mk5 I feel its high time I started looking after my cars... at least cos it cost me loads!

One thing I don't know how to clean is the tail pipe, I don't want an expensive of difficult way to clean it, just a simple easy method.

Does anyone know what I can do?

I found a thread by Julesv6 which was very good but im not sure on all the points he made.

Should I really Wire wool it? Sounds a bit... scary to me!

Tailpipe
These can be nasty if left for a while but meguairs metal cleaner or autosol will bring them up brilliant with some #00 Wire Wool, a cloth and alot of elbow grease.
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/accessories/-00-wire-wool/prod_377.html

Dont leave this bit out though as it can ruin a long clean having dirty tailpipes, you will be amazed at how many people notice!
Best steps would be
- Spray degreaser on pipes and leave for 20/30 mins
- Scrub down pipes with wire wool or a stiff brush (inside only to prevent scratching)
- Apply metal polish with wire wool
- Apply metal polish with cloth
- Buff clean
- repeat if necessary

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
Re: Quick and easy steps to a clean tail pipe?
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2009, 14:26 »
think of it like using sandpaper to get a smoother and smoother finish on a wall or a bannister than you are sanding down before painting or varnishing

you can start with 00 guage wire wool http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/accessories/-00-wire-wool/prod_377.html

this is very fine wire wool and will remove surface contaminates without scratching the underlying metal 'too much'

then once you have cleaned the area with wire wool you can apply metal polish to remove the fine scratches...

it will take a while but if you do this and then protect with a wax you will have minimal maintenance and shiny tailpipes!  :cool:

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #2 on: 17 August 2009, 14:29 »
Brasso followed by autosol. Job's a gooden.

nick

Offline jaydubveedub

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2009, 16:07 »
I used the wire wool method on my Mk5 because the tailpipes were completely black.

It's a doddle, and to be honest you can't really go wrong.

Has brought mine up a treat.
2003 Passat 1.9 Sport TDI Wagon | Inky Blue | Lots of Wax

m0nkeymafia

« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2009, 16:32 »
Cheers lads... I checked out the wire wool in that link too... the results look fantastic!
My mate said he has some autosol so ill start off with that and see how far I need to go!

Offline Kermit

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2009, 17:25 »
After a good clean and polish (I use Megs NXT) - I've coated with poorboys wheel sealant, seems to last ok (even with the exhaust temp) and the soot then just wipes off!  Heard people have also tried panel wax but not sure of it's longevity
2007 GTI, Steel Grey, DSG with Paddle, Leather, 18" Monza, Xenons, Lux and Winter Pack, iPod, Tints