Author Topic: MK6 GT TDi (140bhp) or MK6 GTD (170bhp)  (Read 31937 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: MK6 GT TDi (140bhp) or MK6 GTD (170bhp)
« Reply #10 on: 05 August 2011, 10:07 »
The TDI CR(common rail) engine in the mk6 is superior to the PD unit in the mk5 for smoothness and power delivery imho.
I was going to post very similar opinion to what EVO did the other day except its all down to personal choice and how you use the car to me personally the GT would be the better choice.

Used gt 140's are much better value than hard to get Gtd's so it just a case of trying to justify the difference in spec and the £3000+ difference for the same age car. I would still buy a Gtd tho : ) unless you can find a nice specced gt 140. Do not buy a gt1.4tsi  could be issues as Andy said out of warranty and very poor economy and resale value at any age.
« Last Edit: 05 August 2011, 10:09 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Mr_F

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 05 August 2011, 10:25 »
Test Drive, Test Drive, Test Drive!

PS Good choice avoiding the 1.4!
PPS. If still unsure Test Drive some more!
61 Plate GTD 5dr, Shadow Blue, 18" Charleston's, Flat Tyre Indicator, Cruise Control, Bi-xenon (With Dynamic Curve), Storage Pack, Winter Pack and RCD 510.

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 05 August 2011, 13:11 »
Welcome to the forum.
I'm about to change my 2002 GT TDi for a newer (used) Golf and until recently was set on a 140bhp GT TDi but I then realised that the 170bhp was not too much more on the insurance and appears to deliver the same ecomony. 
Well the first misconception 140PS and 170PS not bhp which is a couple of bhp less.

If you want the extra horses they make the GT TDI 170PS there were a couple at my dealers last week I didn't notice the price? Or you can have the 140PS chipped to 170PS.

You haven't said how much you want to spend?

It all comes down to getting the best package at the budget you can afford?

Try for a GT 140PS at least you get cruise control as standard with them?
2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Offline JJH

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 05 August 2011, 14:26 »
Welcome to the forum.
I'm about to change my 2002 GT TDi for a newer (used) Golf and until recently was set on a 140bhp GT TDi but I then realised that the 170bhp was not too much more on the insurance and appears to deliver the same ecomony. 
Well the first misconception 140PS and 170PS not bhp which is a couple of bhp less.

If you want the extra horses they make the GT TDI 170PS there were a couple at my dealers last week I didn't notice the price? Or you can have the 140PS chipped to 170PS.

VW make a MK6 GT 170PS? Really? Surely not...
Either way go for the GTD, there good cars...go for it.
GTD White 5dr, ACC, Sunroof, winter pack, in transit.......

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 05 August 2011, 15:20 »

If you want the extra horses they make the GT TDI 170PS there were a couple at my dealers last week I didn't notice the price?

VW make a MK6 GT 170PS? Really? Surely not...
Either way go for the GTD, there good cars...go for it.
Yes they do as I said there where 2 at my dealers last week.

2011 11 VW Golf 2.0 GT TDI 5Dr 170ps DSG

They did make it in a MK5 GT 170PS as well. Other than that he has a 140PS chipped to 170PS.

Until we know his price bracket the GTD maybe a bit out of it?

2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Offline centurian

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 05 August 2011, 15:52 »
Price range I'm looking at is circa £15k.  I'm more interested in the car being a 1-owner low mileage version however so prepared to pay a bit more for a better example (Value for money rather then cost is my theory.)

I've spoken with several main dealers recently about which car to go for and - to be honest - their advice has to be taken with a pinch of salt as they just want you to buy what they have in.  I've done a bit of research lately and found conflicting information so hence I'm on this forum.  For example i'm sure I've read that the 170ps version is only available in Mk6 but a dealer local to me is advertising a Mk5 version.

My main concern about the 170ps is simply that I've been advised it will cost more to run and as it appears to have more kit there is clearly more to go wrong.

NB, what does the 'ps' mean please - eg, 170ps I thought was 170 bhp (although I realised 'ps' does not literally stand for 'bhp')

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #16 on: 05 August 2011, 16:11 »
I could give a long answer about BHP, HP and PS and diff measuring standards, giving there true meening and how they differ but the simple slightly incorrect answer is to look at PS as been the metric equivelent of BHP.
Multiply PS figure by 0.9864 to reach the BHP figure.

The mk5 GT TDI was available with a 140PS and a 170PS version of the 2.0 TDI PD(Pumpe-Düse Injection) Engine.
The PD engines are much different in caracter and power delivery to the 2.0 TDI CR(common rail Injection) used in the Mk6.
So you would have to drive them to see if you would be happy with a PD. The PD is much less progressive with there power delivery than the Mk6's CR units. Some prefer the older PD units as they can feel faster due to there power delivery.
« Last Edit: 05 August 2011, 16:19 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 05 August 2011, 16:29 »
Welcome to the forum.

Do you think they are mis builds, like whoops we installed the wrong engine.  You can't spec it on the VW website.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline JJH

• Here all the time
« Last Edit: 05 August 2011, 16:53 by JJH »
GTD White 5dr, ACC, Sunroof, winter pack, in transit.......

Offline Hartside

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 05 August 2011, 17:21 »

NB, what does the 'ps' mean please - eg, 170ps I thought was 170 bhp (although I realised 'ps' does not literally stand for 'bhp')

PS is (was) a German DIN measure of power and means Pferde Starke (Horse Power) As Snoopy points out it is best desribed as "metric" bhp. Power is expressed now as kW, although most car manufacturers still hang on to the old PS measure as it's what everyone understands.
Carbon Grey 5dr GTI