Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362544 times)

Offline mrjp

• Not said much yet
Cheapest I found was a place in Glasgow called Engineered Engines, who quoted a refurb engine with a 12 month warranty for £2520, fitted, including VAT.

Offline Arr0nUK

• Not said much yet
If the tensioner fails and the chain jumps would it still be under tension? Or once the tensioner fails would it stay slack?

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
If the tensioner fails and the chain jumps would it still be under tension? Or once the tensioner fails would it stay slack?
I explained what happens on page 1  :wink:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Arr0nUK

• Not said much yet
I explained what happens on page 1  :wink:

No what I mean is once the ratchet fails is that it broke or can it just fail to ratchet as a one off then go back to working again?

As VW said my chain was tight and the tensioner appeared to be working when they checked.

Unfortunately it’s still unexplained why I have value damage in one cylinder.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
If you look at the photos i posted on the first page you will see how the pin and teeth on the ratchet of the original ratchet design. Remember that everytime you turn the car off it falls back on the ratchet when oil pressure drops. It may simply be falling back on a tooth before or after the one it slipped on originally.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Arr0nUK

• Not said much yet
If you look at the photos i posted on the first page you will see how the pin and teeth on the ratchet of the original ratchet design. Remember that everytime you turn the car off it falls back on the ratchet when oil pressure drops. It may simply be falling back on a tooth before or after the one it slipped on originally.

That's true. I think VW were just quick to try and get rid. They said the chain and tensioner were fine and if it was timing you would have damage in Cylinder 1 & 4 not just 1 Valve in Cylinder 1.

Part of me does not believe them but on the other hand it's probably a wasted argument with them. 77k 2009 car with part VW history does not give me much hope of any good will payment even if it was a tensioner.

Thanks for your help/quick replies btw  :smiley:

Offline martin vr6

• Just got here
My 2011 car is going in on Thursday to have the chains checked. They appear to be noisier than
I would expect

I’m not looking forward to the outcome if I’m honest

Offline david25

• I live here
Whats the mileage please?
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline martin vr6

• Just got here
Got the news today, my chains have stretched and thus require replacement. Car is on 79k

I’m having everything done, all three chains, guides tensioner everything. No change out of £1100

Offline joe6

• I live here
Got the news today, my chains have stretched and thus require replacement. Car is on 79k

I’m having everything done, all three chains, guides tensioner everything. No change out of £1100

Wise move. Peace of mind is important. Is that dealer price or indie?
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.