Author Topic: Clubsport Edition 40 and Clubsport S build numbers (and car photos)  (Read 142369 times)

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
Have any of you guys with the clubsport 40 also owned the Mk7 golf R? I'm currently in a spot where the facelift Golf R and Clubsport 40 are around the same price. I prefer the clubsport looks but how does the fwd compare to awd? How does the pre-facelift interior compare to the facelift one?

I sold my 7R to buy a CS and don't regret it at all, not even slightly.  The R is a great car, no doubt, but they are just too common, I can't go out the house without seeing at least one or more without fail.  For me it's not just about 4wd and being the fastest Golf out there, I wanted style, exclusivity and something a bit different.  And the CS, imho, wins over the R on all of these things, it has a real presence on the road.  The limited build numbers, exclusive styling, bucket seats (a must), the wheels, numbered plaque etc. beat the R all hands down for me. :cool: :evil:  Anyhow, an R owner will be along soon to sell the other side. :kiss: :smiley:

And to keep the thread on track, I'm number 704 and here it is:
« Last Edit: 20 April 2017, 11:53 by TurboTrev »

Offline SCOTTE

• Not said much yet
Gutted to say i may have to sell my clubsport... circumstance's have changed  :sad:

OH Nooooo so soon too what you thinking of getting instead?

I dont think i will have a car, changed my working hours and placement and only live about 2 mile from work now,

Keep it for weekend fun mate nothing better than not driving it all week then jumping into and going for a blast.  :grin:

Offline LRWmotorsport

• Here all the time
Looking good Trev.
2015 BRSCC PGTI Championship 2nd #55
2016 BRSCC PGTI Championship 2nd (again) #25 & BARC Intermarque
2017 BRSCC PGTI CHAMPIONS #24

Offline Aidey

• Here all the time

Keep it for weekend fun mate nothing better than not driving it all week then jumping into and going for a blast.  :grin:
[/quote]

I really want to, will have to look into all avenues and see if i can hold onto it as i love it, and its a head turner for sure,
Owner Mk8 ClubSport
Sold Mk8 Golf R....
Sold Gti DSG 2020 Performance Indium Grey .....
Gti Sold... ClubSport Edition 40 , ... Sold Aug 2018....

Offline davegixer

• Not said much yet
Have any of you guys with the clubsport 40 also owned the Mk7 golf R? I'm currently in a spot where the facelift Golf R and Clubsport 40 are around the same price. I prefer the clubsport looks but how does the fwd compare to awd? How does the pre-facelift interior compare to the facelift one?

My reasoning for going for the CS over the R reflect the other posts here, not least of all the looks; whilst it appeals to some I personally don't like the 'sleeper' appearance of the R, it looks like a 1.4 Rline as said elswhere. But I'm not criticising it, it's a phenomenal car of that there is no doubt.

The R and CS are two different cars, and the performance figures can mislead you, have a look on youtube for a video with the CS against the R on track, the CS is faster (but probably wouldn't be faster in the wet). The aero kit is functional as well as looking good; the R has 90kg of lift at 80mph whereas the CS has 60kg of downforce at the same speed. And the dif is sublime!

Have you found one somewhere? If you can get out for a decent drive I'm sure you'll be sold.

I do like the facelift dash, but nowhere near enough to stop me getting a CS - I would have chosen a GTI PP over the R if I couldn't get a CS.

At the end of the day, you are choosing between two awesome cars so you won't go wrong with either.
2017 GTI Clubsport Edition 40 #670
Carbon Grey Metallic, Black Roof, DSG, Leather, 19" Brescias, I'm in love with a car, help me.

Offline AndyG

• Here all the time
No arguments from this R owner Trev,you've had both cars so your opinion is totally valid.Nice pic that,only a fool would prefer the R's looks to yours.
Golf 7R,DSG,5 door White,leather,rear camera.

Offline infernox

• Not said much yet
I guess that just makes the decision harder. I'll try and get a test drive in both. Do you know if the exhaust is louder on the clubsport than the facelift R?

Offline Aidey

• Here all the time
I guess that just makes the decision harder. I'll try and get a test drive in both. Do you know if the exhaust is louder on the clubsport than the facelift R?

Id say the clubsport is louder and poppier, at least mine is when compared to a mate's R..
Owner Mk8 ClubSport
Sold Mk8 Golf R....
Sold Gti DSG 2020 Performance Indium Grey .....
Gti Sold... ClubSport Edition 40 , ... Sold Aug 2018....

Offline NewCsS

• Not said much yet
Looked on autotrader today loads of Clubsports on there now, 68 to be exact!! Mostly in VW dealers . Cheapest 17 plate 3 door in carbon grey for £25995. A performance bargin , I wouldn't  even consider a mk7.5 pp over the clubsport . Just in case anybody was in the market for one🤔.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
Looked on autotrader today loads of Clubsports on there now, 68 to be exact!! Mostly in VW dealers . Cheapest 17 plate 3 door in carbon grey for £25995. A performance bargin , I wouldn't  even consider a mk7.5 pp over the clubsport . Just in case anybody was in the market for one🤔.

The grey car looks a good deal, so good it is already reserved on their website.

I can see the values of these falling over the next few months, when the "new" 7.5 arrives, many buyers will not want the old car.
There are a lot of "R's" and Focus RS available for sale, if you have £30k to spend on a lightly used car, it is almost hard to choose.
Just look at the number of white CS 40 offered at £30k right now!