Author Topic: jetta mk2 US (my girlfriend's daily car)  (Read 4715 times)

Offline Franek

• Not said much yet
jetta mk2 US (my girlfriend's daily car)
« on: 02 June 2012, 17:14 »
Hello everybody,
I'm only new here but decided to show you a bit of work, that I've done myself on my girlfriend's 1990 jetta. I got this jetta for very little money because even she was 100% original noone wanted to get her because of very small rusty places on the outside, extremely dirty interior with the smell of urine factory, and very rusty suspension parts. Generally looked like being towed from us to europe behind the ship instead of being on board. I took her because I love american spec vw's, and thougt that loads of usa parts to swap to my other golf's. Anyway, after we sold her GTI ediotion mk3:

she got the jetta for a while till we get her another car. Just once she went with it to work, and after coming back she said she loves her and we can now stop looking for other cars coz she wants her. Right, so jetta had a 8v digifant RV engine which is pretty much same as PF/PB ones. It came with automatic 3 gear gearbox, r12 aircondition and that would be it.

We got rid of those wheels straight away. I didn't want her to stay original because they made it with too small engine. Neither wanted my girlfriend. that's why after a while we bought a set of repairing stuff which is called vr6 passat:D

The passat's gearbox was broken so it was v. cheap. Ihad another one in the garazge so i didn't mind. i took out engines from both cars, jetta motor went to passat with manual gearbox and whole passat was sold. so basicly the whole swap was free, just my time, and we still had money from selling a golf to make jetta look and drive as new.
before putting any new parts i had to make sure the chassis is worth it. despite of rusty colour after cleaning there was no holes in the floor.

then I stripped down whole interior and did some cleaning on the temporary 5 spoke 20jahre wheels.

to be continued...

Offline Seanl

• I live here
Re: jetta mk2 US (my girlfriend's daily car)
« Reply #1 on: 02 June 2012, 17:55 »
All I can say is that you've got some balls going under there with the car being held by a single plank of wood!  :shocked: :shocked: :huh:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 02 June 2012, 17:58 »
Polish style have a few friends like that, they just get on with things its on the blood  :grin:

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #3 on: 02 June 2012, 19:14 »
Cool....

Guess The Polls don't have "H&S Executive" Like we do!!  :grin: :grin:

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Franek

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 02 June 2012, 22:34 »
yeah:D well we care about h&s maybe a bit less than you do but in this particular one the wooden stuff on the front, and a towin rope tied to back axle and neighbours fencing were only "in case" the whole car on the other side was laying on tyres in the position that would be 3452 times more likely to go on her side than on my head:D
anyway i got the text from my frind that someone put an ad selling bits of jetta in the same colour, so I rang him straigh away, got the trailor at 11pm. I only wanted to buy drivers an right back doors but when I saw all of them parts i decided to fill up the whole trailor for couple of pounds, because the fellow wanted to get rid of rubbish. I took the leather seats and some other stuff that I didn't really need, but after selling these, I got the bits that I wanted and a bit more than expected as freebies:D

here we've got some of the parts already fitted in the place. so the boot gate with gli wing, new rear bumper and 3new doors. the paint on the new parts was spotless, as the rest of the car, just needed to be polished. I prefer exchanging parts for good ones in original paint rather than painting them. At all times it's better to have spotless factory paint. the engine bay I painted myself.

here we can see how dirty the interior was, as well as clean "new" silencing stuff. also it got a heating tunnel for the passengers on the back originally of mk1 toledo
on the 1st picture u can see the ABS/EDS system:

then as I've cleaned dirty carpet I coul fit it inside. I've also converted the aircondition to r134a stuff. but the rest comes from jetta so works on vacuum system to change the direction of blower.

All the engine had an inspection without taking the head off, an got the whole timig system done using original parts only, upgrading it with the newer model of tensioner( the one with no rivets from a silngle upper chain). jetta also got new spark plugs because the moto had original ones :shocked:, new discs front&rear(instead of drums). back axle comes from mk3 golf which id 1,5cm wider tham stock mk2's. on the front she kas mk3 engine mount, passat b4 wishbones with audi tt rear bushes. new ball joint, obviouslu new bearings all around. golf mk3 tank&vr6 pump. on the picture below u can see how dirty the dashboard was. it's easy to see that passengers sid got a bit attention isn't it?

i also got one of the very first vr6 intake manifolds, which has the vr6 dohc sign in aluminium, and the underneith has the same bigger shape like 2,9 abv engine.
jetta is now stuffed with 4x electric windows that go themselves down after touching the button once( sorry I don't know the proper name). the whole bacline wiring including windows, air central locking come of a mk1 toledo. heated electric mirrors with hidden leds that shine on the ground like in the new cars while opening and closing then(again don't know the name for it)
As i said before she got polished perhaps for the first time in 20 years. after that I fitted in my opinoin the only proper front: rallye:D

the brakes are just casual mk3gti's on the back, and 288mm of a passat on the front. all the pads and discs are new, also all cooper and rubber cables, so if a fly farts on the pedal the whole car stops in no time:D

she' got the inox kw coilovers on the back, and bilstein b6& sport springs on the front.
hopefully you enjoyed reading this. that's it for the moment. i'm looking for some better wheels but won't fit any rs/rm's coz I think these are stock ones and nowadays everybody has them.

« Last Edit: 02 June 2012, 22:41 by Franek »

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #5 on: 02 June 2012, 22:56 »
Sweet...

That Rallye Front just looks so right on a Jetta....

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!