Author Topic: Wrapping the black plastic parts  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Wrapping the black plastic parts
« on: 15 September 2020, 16:27 »
Hi all. Would like to know peoples feelings on wrapping in gloss black the matt black plastic parts on the front bumper (lower splitter, canards around the fog lights etc) as well as the side skirts, as I really like the way these are glossy on the R's etc.

Do you think wrapping would work, as I don't really want to go to the expense and hassle of removing them from the car for spraying, or would wrapping not work on these bits ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: Wrapping the black plastic parts
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2020, 19:12 »
If it’s possible to do them this would look brilliant. I’m sure that someone looked at applying PPF to these on the TCR and it didn’t work out worthwhile. Presume it’s a similar process? I may be wrong and hope I am as it’s a great idea.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2020, 04:21 »
The biggest problem you have is that all these parts are in areas that are constantly battered with road grit, especially the leading edges of the sideskirts and rear lower bumper trim. Much as I think it would look great once done, I feel that both options (painting or wrapping) would look very tatty in a short space of time.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2020, 06:21 »
Are you sure you're not wanting gloss black because it might be marginally more aerodynamic to help achieve 50mpg driving?  :grin:
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2020, 08:44 »
damn it, you got me....... ;D ;D

truth be told, I saw a MK7 the other day (a GTD) where the owner had had them sprayed gloss black (not wrapped) and it looked fab.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2020, 11:56 »
A guy on the TCR Facebook group has done his front bits in gloss black. He has a VW approved body shop so if anything needs doing again he will just do it.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 16 September 2020, 16:07 »
The slightly grainy matt finish of the standard GTI sills and canards will be an absolute bugger to get wrap to stick to properly. Possibly a dip would be more effective but bloody expensive no doubt.
The TCR sills look far far better than the standard sill extensions so personally if I was going to do anything to my sills I’d invest in TCR ones.
The canards are lovely looking items but look a very complex shape to wrap.
Painting or dipping would possibly be the only effective option. It surprises me that nobody has produced glossy 7.5 GTI canards out in the land of aliexpress as yet.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline wrighty79

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 02 October 2020, 01:40 »
I'm in the process of enquiring about getting them painted gloss black to match my tcr rear diffuser so will let u know how it goes

Offline zainahmed48

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 30 March 2021, 15:52 »
I'm in the process of enquiring about getting them painted gloss black to match my tcr rear diffuser so will let u know how it goes

I realise I’m bumping this thread, but did you manage to get this done?
2018 Indium Grey MK7.5 GTi (Manual), 19" Brescia