Author Topic: TPMS  (Read 3300 times)

Offline Ibdrew

• Not said much yet
TPMS
« on: 25 September 2018, 11:35 »
I’m looking to buy a new set of alloy wheels and winter tyres for my 2014 gti pp, original alloys from vw are way to expensive so I’m looking at alternatives, however on some alloy wheel websites it recommends tpms sensors, Looking for advice as to whether I need them or not, and if I don’t get the sensors will I have a warning light showing. The wheels I’m looking at are

https://m.rimstyle.com/alloywheels/wheel/aez_raise_gmpo
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: TPMS
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2018, 12:13 »
Good choice, I like those :smiley: I'll let someone more informed answer the point of your post although as far as I know, the MK7 doesn't use TPMS as such, this thread should help -  https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/24656-tyre-pressure-monitoring-system/
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2018, 12:24 »
You shouldn't need sensors as the Golf doesn't have the full TPMS, it works via ABS. I change to winter tyres each year and don't have them. You just need to correctly inflate your new tyres then reset the pressures in the menu and all should be well.

Just make sure you choose wheels that fit over the brakes. Mine are 18 inch, the smallest you can go is 17 inch AFAIK.
7.5 GTD

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 25 September 2018, 12:59 »
The AEZ Raise is a good choice, it’ll suit the mk7 lines well and was a style I considered a while ago on a previous mk7.
They do the wheel in more than one finish, be careful if using them purely as winter wheels as the ones with the dark inner sections have machine polished faces like the factory VW wheels.
Tyreleader used to be the cheapest place to get them, I’m not sure whether Rimstyle would attempt to price match or offer a discount. Worth asking!

Unless you have a spec anomaly there’s no proper TPMS, as said previously, the pressure monitoring system runs via ABS sensors checking for rotational differences in the wheels which might signify pressure loss (or a hefty passenger or suitcase!)
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Ibdrew

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 25 September 2018, 15:16 »
Thanks for reply’s
Good to know I don’t need the sensors,
This is the first time I’ll have actually bought extra wheels and winter tyres, last winter was pretty bad and The car struggled to cope on a few occasions with the snow and ice on standard tyres,so this year I’ve decided to invest in some new wheels and tyres.

Offline hobbes22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 26 September 2018, 14:53 »
I'm currently looking for a set of winter wheels and tyres also. There's plenty of choice on that website. Although I think your still looking at a grand or so for a set of 18's with decent winter tyres.
Sold - Octavia 2.0 PD Tdi. Shark remap. EGR Delete. Decat. H&R Shocks. Hybrid Turbo.

Sold - 2016 GTI PP, Manual. Pure White. Keyless.

Current - GTI Performance, DSG, Isaac Blue, Brescia 19”.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 26 September 2018, 14:56 »
I'm currently looking for a set of winter wheels and tyres also. There's plenty of choice on that website. Although I think your still looking at a grand or so for a set of 18's with decent winter tyres.

You'll get a decent proportion of that cost back if you sell the wheels and tyres on again if you change vehicle.
Plus you're not wearing your current tyres down over winter so delaying replacement potentially saving a significant few quid.

With a bit of man maths it can all stack up!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline hobbes22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 26 September 2018, 15:36 »

You'll get a decent proportion of that cost back if you sell the wheels and tyres on again if you change vehicle.
Plus you're not wearing your current tyres down over winter so delaying replacement potentially saving a significant few quid.

I like your thinking!
Sold - Octavia 2.0 PD Tdi. Shark remap. EGR Delete. Decat. H&R Shocks. Hybrid Turbo.

Sold - 2016 GTI PP, Manual. Pure White. Keyless.

Current - GTI Performance, DSG, Isaac Blue, Brescia 19”.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 26 September 2018, 15:55 »

It doesn't need man maths to stack up. The tyres cost nothing, as you only wear one set out at a time, and if you buy second hand wheels, the chances are you will get all of your money back when you finally sell them.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Ibdrew

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 26 September 2018, 16:06 »
I’ve tried eBay, and been outbid on on a couple of occasions for vw Cadiz and Austin alloys, so hence looking to purchase the aez raise alloys.