Author Topic: Advice please - GTI or R?  (Read 5043 times)

Offline titchy

• Not said much yet
Advice please - GTI or R?
« on: 11 September 2018, 13:32 »
Hi all,

It's been a while since I last posted here. Hopefully you won't hold that against me when giving advice  :wink:

I've loved owning my 2016 GTI for the past 2 and a half years but 9 months ago my daughter was born and I'm now left with the reality of doing nursery pickups in a 3 door car  :cry:

What a pain in the balls that is. And it won't get any better in winter when it's dark and the rain is hammering down and I'm trying to shoehorn her into her seat. I'm therefore looking to swap my car for a 5 door.

Other than the doors, there are a couple of other niggles I have with my GTI, those being the manual gearbox and lack of grip. Now I'm absolutely sold on a DSG box for my next car but I don't know whether to get a GTI or an R. I've suffered from front end grip on the Potenza's, like most folk, but what I want to know is will a GTI with the LSD and decent front tyres solve the problem, or do I really need to get an R? I think my heart is saying R but I'll need to sacrifice a few more miles on the clock to get one within budget. Is it worth the extra? I'm not too worried about running costs as I can afford the fuel and insurance/tax are the same.

I'll most likely be buying used, by the way, and a similar age.

Thanks in advance.
Titchy
Black, 3 Door, MY '16 GTI.
Dynaudio, AppConnect.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline titchy

• Not said much yet
Re: Advice please - GTI or R?
« Reply #2 on: 11 September 2018, 14:00 »
Cheers mate. Good to see someone else from Sheffield on here  :wink:
Dynaudio, AppConnect.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2018, 14:40 »
If your heart says R then get an R.

If your heart says GTI learn to modulate the throttle!  :laugh:

Get an R. The engine is made for the DSG box and if you’re going to change cars you might as well have a proper change.

I’ve never been to Sheffield btw.  :whistle:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2018, 14:42 »
Cheers mate. Good to see someone else from Sheffield on here  :wink:

Yeah you too!

11.5 month old - check
Nursery pick ups - check
5 doors - check
DSG - check
LSD - check
Lots of grip? Check!

:smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2018, 14:51 »
I can vouch for the pp helping with front end grip too. Certainly don't suffer with wheelspin like others do. I drive both the R and the GTi pp and still bought the GTi. GTi with winter tyres on will still be safer than an R in summer tyres.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 11 September 2018, 14:59 »
Ours is mapped to 300bhp and have Kumho tyres and honestly can say it hardly ever loses grip :cool:

MK7 GTi

Offline titchy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 11 September 2018, 15:44 »
Cheers guys. Good to know the GTI PP and decent tyres seems to sort the tramping issue.

One more question. What is the standard sound system like? I love my Dynaudio setup but am struggling to find many cars that have it.

Appointment on Saturday at the dealer. Will let you know how I get on!
Dynaudio, AppConnect.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 11 September 2018, 16:03 »
Cheers guys. Good to know the GTI PP and decent tyres seems to sort the tramping issue.

One more question. What is the standard sound system like? I love my Dynaudio setup but am struggling to find many cars that have it.

Appointment on Saturday at the dealer. Will let you know how I get on!

I've no complaints but guess it depends what you play and how loud! Come and have a listen to my std system if you want  :smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline titchy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 11 September 2018, 16:22 »
Will hopefully get a good idea when I test drive one at the weekend  :wink:
Dynaudio, AppConnect.