Author Topic: Windscreen  (Read 2554 times)

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
Windscreen
« on: 06 August 2018, 09:12 »
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to detailing, so I've been reading a lot of the threads on here, but one question I have is about glass. My front screen seems to be constantly covered in dead bugs - what's a good product to use to remove the bugs and keep the glass clean.

Do I need to polish it, seal it or just clean it?

Thanks in advance,

Greig
2013 Golf GTI (PP) Tornado Red
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Windscreen
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2018, 13:21 »
Unfortunately, bugs getting splattered on the windscreen - and any other forward facing panels of the car - is a consequence of driving at this time of year.

I’m not sure if there are products out there that will stop bugs sticking to your screen. I just make sure I clean my screen regularly with a glass cleaner (I usually use Autoglym Fast Glass) to remove the bugs, and not apply anything to my screen that might affect visibility - especially after dark and / or if it’s raining and you’re using your wipers. If the bugs are really hard baked on, you might want to soak them first before cleaning your screen.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 06 August 2018, 17:09 »
https://pro-greenmx.co.uk/online-shop/cycles/5ltr-concentrated-cycle-wash/

I tried this, diluted 1:10, sprayed on, left for a couple of minutes, then washed off with the screen wash and wipers. You can do this if the car is dirty and drive off, or do it pre-washing. It is excellent on brake dust too. Keep it away from the paint tho'. Whilst it won't to any harm, it is a degreaser, so will strip off your wax.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2018, 07:28 »
Morning

As mentioned, this time of the year is a nightmare for this especially if you're driving at dusk.

I use our clay mitt with citrus pre-wash before the main washing stages.

You can also do this between washes but afterwards you'd need to clean glass with a glass cleaner.

Cheers

Neil

Offline TweedsideR

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2018, 10:27 »
I cleaned, polished and sealed my windscreen with Nanolex Ultra when it was new, although more recently I've been using Kamikaze Intenso as a top-up sealant.
At this time of year (bug season) I use ValetPro Citrus Wash as part of my maintenance pre-wash on all forward-facing surfaces and allow it to dwell and soften the bugs. If I need to clean the windscreen by itself, I spray on Auto Finesse Citrus wash, leave it for a few minutes then clean it off to remove the bugs and follow with Invisible Glass.
All buffed off with Wo-Wo microfibre cloths, of course!

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 07 August 2018, 13:30 »
I cleaned, polished and sealed my windscreen with Nanolex Ultra when it was new, although more recently I've been using Kamikaze Intenso as a top-up sealant.
At this time of year (bug season) I use ValetPro Citrus Wash as part of my maintenance pre-wash on all forward-facing surfaces and allow it to dwell and soften the bugs. If I need to clean the windscreen by itself, I spray on Auto Finesse Citrus wash, leave it for a few minutes then clean it off to remove the bugs and follow with Invisible Glass.
All buffed off with Wo-Wo microfibre cloths, of course!

:smiley:

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 07 August 2018, 14:34 »
Wow...thanks for the replies guys, really helpful.

Next question - where do you find time to do all this! :)
2013 Golf GTI (PP) Tornado Red
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S