Author Topic: Couple of quick questions on my new GTi  (Read 3451 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Couple of quick questions on my new GTi
« on: 14 June 2018, 13:18 »
Hi all. Now I've had my new GTI for a few weeks I have a couple of questions that I wonder if anyone could answer.

I have the wireless charging pad in the car, and a couple of weeks ago when I had the loaner Golf R, that also had the same option. On that car it also had the Discover Nav Pro, and at the top of the media screen (where the phone signal strength is etc.), it had a wireless charging logo permanently at the top of this screen, which was dim when not charging, and lit up brighter when the phone was charging.

On my car with the standard Navigation unit, I just get a pop up in the top information screen of the media unit telling me it's charging, but it goes away just as quickly and I then have to bend down to look at the light on the phone itself in the cubby hole (not recommended when driving) to see if it is indeed charging, as positioning of the phone on the pad is quite important. Does anyone know if there is a VCDS mod that will add the charging status logo permanently at the top of the screen like the Pro Nav ?

Secondly, I've noticed that the Stop Start system acts quite differently from my previous MK7's (I know some people hate S/S but please bear with me). Firstly the most annoying thing is that quite a few times when coming to a complete stop the S/S system will (as expected) cut the engine but will then almost immediately re-start it again for no apparent reason (i.e. nothing in front or car ahead totally motionless etc.). If i press the S/S button twice (once to deactivate it and once to re-activate it), then the engine cuts out immediately and stays off until the need to move off. I'm not sure if this is the car deliberately doing it (if so for what reason), but I can't image this is doing the engine or battery much good. Does anyone else's MK7.5 do that as well and have you found a solution (other than coding out S/S completely ?)

The second thing is I've noticed the S/S is trying to be smart and automatically re-start the engine when the car in front move off. Sounds reasonable enough, but it's really annoying when the car in front only moves forward a foot or so that the engine keeps re-starting. Again, is that "feature" of the S/S (or ACC) system able to be coded out in VCDS as it's bloody annoying !
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
Re: Couple of quick questions on my new GTi
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2018, 13:27 »
In the acc module under adaptions there should be something like Advanced Restart just disable that

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 14 June 2018, 13:33 »
I can't comment on the wireless charging I'm afraid but I experienced both of these start-stop things on the 7.5 I had.

You might know this already but you can see why it has restarted by pressing the car button on the head unit until it gets to car status, then click on start stop and it tells you why it last restarted - i.e. car in front drove off etc even if they appear to still be stationary. I had a few times where it said "engine must be running" which I took to be that the engine needed to be running for another reason, but there was no clue to why that was.

To be fair I haven't noticed this message as much now I've swapped to a Clubsport but it definitely still restarts the engine when the car infront drives off so I might try vwjap's suggestion for that.
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 14 June 2018, 13:39 »
The second thing is I've noticed the S/S is trying to be smart and automatically re-start the engine when the car in front move off. Sounds reasonable enough, but it's really annoying when the car in front only moves forward a foot or so that the engine keeps re-starting. Again, is that "feature" of the S/S (or ACC) system able to be coded out in VCDS as it's bloody annoying !

This is quite annoying. I only know of 3 ways round it;-

1) Leave your clutch in (manual gearbox).

2) Stop about a full car length short of the car in front. Sometimes if there's a big enough gap the radar sensor seems less prone to movements.

3) Fully disengage front assist.
7.5 GTD

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 14 June 2018, 13:40 »
In the acc module under adaptions there should be something like Advanced Restart just disable that

Is this with OBD Eleven? I can't find any way to change this through the car menus.
7.5 GTD

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 14 June 2018, 16:01 »
Yes obdeleven or vcds,
One reason you get car must be running is a running

As you can see on mine it’s expanded restart function

Adaptations:
        Roller test bench mode, functional:
                Not activated
        Deactivate production mode:
                Deactivating
        Production mode:
                Deactivating
        Heated lens:
                Off
        Activating and deactivating all development messages:
            Development Message S100:
                Off
            Development Message S101:
                Off
            Development Message S102:
                Off
            Development Message ECU specific:
                Off
            XCP on FlexRay:
                Off
        Distance basic setting option:
                On
        Expanded restart function:
                On
        Presentation mode:
                not active
        Distance change via speed adjustment:
                On
        Prioritized target object display:
                Off
        Sail function:
                Deactivating
        Constant delay after transfer request:
                Yes
        Selection of release codes for a SWaP function:
                ffffffff
        Predictive_speed_limt_control:
                Not activated
        Transfer of release code for a SWaP function:
« Last Edit: 14 June 2018, 16:04 by Vwjap »

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 14 June 2018, 16:14 »
Thanks guys (and especially Vwjap) - I'll have a mooch later.

Hmm. wonder what the "Predictive Speed Limit control" is ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 14 June 2018, 16:31 »
I think it’s to do with the newer modules, for the gps speed limit cruise control, I can’t remember if it’s this one or another in the king coding that puts it in the settings in the mmi but I’ve enabled both and it doesn’t keep to the speed limits like I thought it would, so does nothing 😂🤣😂

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 14 June 2018, 17:29 »
Its probably traffic sign recognition speed limiting...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Dunc245

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 14 June 2018, 18:04 »
Hi Another GTI newbie here (1 week in....),... :grin:

Can you not just turn off the S/S with the button by the gear lever? Doesn't that leave it permanently off throughout that journey, or is something else overidding that and putting it back on.

I admit I haven't tried out this ACC thingy yet.

GTI PP 245; Atlantic Blue, Art Velours, Climate windscreen, KSS, genuine 18" Black Pretoria.