Author Topic: Scratched windscreen  (Read 2704 times)

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
Re: Scratched windscreen
« Reply #10 on: 10 June 2018, 09:57 »
Just to touch on this topic again if anyone needs similar help in the future.

Didnt get a new windscreen in the end after a botched visit by national windscreens I told him to return to his van and leave - awful company to deal with.

Searched and called many companies and came across Glasweld . Called and oragnised the local tech to come out.

Bear in mind my nail did catch on the scratch.

He look 10 seconds to confirm it will be sorted within an hour. They use some kind of water cooled glass displacement machine? Dont ask me too much detail. Basically you dont remove any glass at all you it just 'displaces it back to place'

Anyway, 1 hour later, scratch is completely gone, absolutely no distortion in the glass what so ever and for under 100 quid Im over the moon.

Running my nail over the area he worked it is smooth as new, no dips in the glass at all. whatever they use it works!

Also speaking to the chap he told me you wouldnt belive the amount of work they do on brand new cars when they turn up from the factory. Apparently side windows and windscreens get scratched all the time in transport. A lot of their work is through dealerships.

The work does create a mess, compound everywhere so a good clean after is essential.
« Last Edit: 10 June 2018, 10:03 by clarky92 »
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 10 June 2018, 10:06 »
Nice one clarky, I'm averse to having windscreens replaced and would want a repair where possible. Here's a link to their website for those interested, I've bookmarked it should the problem arise for me :smiley: https://www.glaswelduk.com
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 10 June 2018, 10:37 »
Nice one clarky, I'm averse to having windscreens replaced and would want a repair where possible. Here's a link to their website for those interested, I've bookmarked it should the problem arise for me :smiley: https://www.glaswelduk.com

I also prefer to have a repair rather than replacement screen; IMO a repair reduces the risk of damage to trim and paint work. I mine repaired recently by Autoglass. The guy that did the repair was friendly and courteous and did a very good job. He was well presented and had a nice clean van too - so a good initial impression. He did a pre-damage inspection, and covered the bonnet and wings with protective covers before starting work. He also seemed genuinely interested in my car too!

Comparing this to a screen repair by National Windscreens on my previous car; filthy van, very scruffy, miserable guy, no pre-damage inspection and a poor repair!

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 10 June 2018, 10:52 »
This guy was very professional and was into his cars aswell. He drove a lowered caddy on spacers and aftermarket alloys.

Covered the car with sheets apart from the area he works to minimise as much compound flying everywhere. No problems with the car not a single scratch etc ( I checked after)

Its common sense, but just make sure you clean your car before hand and give the windscreen a really good going over. Putting a cover on top of a dirty car = disaster
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack