Author Topic: New mot rules may 2018 time to offload your diesel  (Read 1727 times)

Offline pulsar

• Not said much yet
  • golf mk4 tdl 150 best golf ever
Hi all thought I'd share this it's from vossa any modifications as below you will fail the mot there is about 100 new test items its time to offload your diesel fast

We have received the following in response to your recent query from the Vehicle Testing and Road worthiness department.

‘A vehicle will fail an MOT test if a catalytic converter is missing where one was fitted as standard. Additionally, from 20 may 2018 a vehicle will also fail if any emission control equipment fitted by the manufacturer is missing, obviously modified or obviously defective. This includes such items as a diesel oxidation catalyst, diesel particulate filters, exhaust gas recirculation valves and selective catalytic reduction valves.’

I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Over 90% of customers surveyed are satisfied with the service we have provided. Let us know what you think by clicking here.

Kind Regards

Roselyn Evans | Customer Service Centre Agent

Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency | The Ellipse, Padley Road, Swansea, SA1 8AN

Phone: 0300 123 9000 |

DVSA_3298_DIGI_AW
tdi 150   Remap/de-cat
  NM Torque  480

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
Re: New mot rules may 2018 time to offload your diesel
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2018, 20:49 »
So if you haven't modified any of the parts mentioned then you are just fine so I wouldn't say "offload it fast". Sounds like more diesel scare-mongering.

Offline JHWP

• Not said much yet
Re: New mot rules may 2018 time to offload your diesel
« Reply #2 on: 04 April 2018, 11:39 »
I don't understand this post.

Time to offload your diesel fast?  :huh:  A bit extreme no?

So if you haven't messed around with your diesel car by removing the DPF or any other exhaust system fiddling then everything is the same as it was and there is nothing to worry about and no reason to have to sell your diesel car in a hurry? Most people don't screw around with their exhaust system and remove parts of it - they just buy the car and drive it. DPF's O.K. but who removes their diesel oxidation catalyst, exhaust gas re circulation valves and selective catalytic reduction valves anyway? Is all or any of this even possible? Was a deleted DPF not an MOT fail already anyway?

If someone does own a diesel car that has a modified exhaust system in such a way that would cause an MOT failure would it not be a better option to unmodify it/put it back to stock rather than sell the car? Even if the car is sold in a modified state that will cause an MOT failure, that problem will not go away as the new owner will just inherit it. A car that can't pass an MOT is useless so that car will have to be backwards modified to get it to pass the MOT anyway.